News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

an inspiring video

Started by Ken S, November 26, 2018, 12:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

RobinW

Yes Ken, very interesting - and the continuation of Barnsley learned skills continues

I have visited the Edward Barnsley Workshop - which is run by a trust and has a significant training remit - and the quality of the work is outstanding. See https://www.barnsley-furniture.co.uk

There are several other workshops and training schools in the UK (and no doubt elsewhere) and to come across top quality work emphasises what can be achieved especially with sharp tools and practice.

Ken S

Robin,

It warms me to know that intensive training of that standard of craftmanship still exists.

I hope the Barnsley training includes furniture repair work. I suspect repair will be the glue which holds most furniture makers together financially.

Thanks for sharing your Barnsley thoughts.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on November 26, 2018, 12:25:58 PM
I enjoyed this and thought you might, also.

https://youtu.be/n0KJ3maQ2X4

Ken

Thanks, Ken.  That was interesting.  I drooled on seeing the magnificent tool cabinet he made. 

I love nice tool boxes.  Between my daughter and I, we have five Gerstners.  I have four, one my father gave me and we refinished the exterior together, my father's and my brother's who were both machinists, and one that I bought used. My daughter has my mother's that she used as an electronic assembler back in the day when transistors were first being used and were all separate components.  The latter is now a sewing tool chest.  All of the others are in my workshop and essentially machinist toolboxes. 

I recently bought a Bosch router and router table, for working on two Christmas/Birthday gifts for my daughter and granddaughter.  It greatly expands my woodworking capabilities and opportunities.  I also recently visited my pattern making friend in the Portland, OR area. 

While there, I saw sitting on a workbench, the book: The Joint Book https://www.powells.com.  I was instantly interested in the book.  It covers all sorts of joints used in woodworking.  My friend, Gary, uses it as a textbook in the woodworking classes he puts on.  In his beginner classes, Gary has the students make a dozen or so of those joints before they can go on to making actual projects.  I bought that copy on the spot and have been reading it, just out of enjoyment as well as the technical information.  I believe it will be a fantastic companion with the new router and table.  I am anxious just to try some of the joints. 

My interest in woodworking is now taking hold, just for the sake of woodworking, rather than it being a means for completing projects.  Who knows, I might even get a wood turning lathe (but I don't know where I would put it).

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

I share your love of Gerstner chests. Many years ago, apprentices at the Timken Company were presented with a Gerstner chest upon completion of their apprenticeship. I also like the metal Kennedy boxes, but for charm and elegance, Gerstner has no peer.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: RickKrung on January 04, 2019, 04:30:44 PM
My interest in woodworking is now taking hold, just for the sake of woodworking, rather than it being a means for completing projects.  Who knows, I might even get a wood turning lathe (but I don't know where I would put it).

Rick

Rick,

As a former machinist, you might really like ornamental turning.  I've built a site for those looking to get started :  www.OTBoK.info

And the rose engine lathes are small !

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

RickKrung

Quote from: RichColvin on January 04, 2019, 08:23:47 PM
Quote from: RickKrung on January 04, 2019, 04:30:44 PM

Rick

As a former machinist, you might really like ornamental turning.  I've built a site for those looking to get started :  www.OTBoK.info

And the rose engine lathes are small !

Kind regards,
Rich

That site looks quite intriguing.  I might go there some day (ornamental turning and the Rose engine). 

To be clear, Rich, I am not a "former" machinist, in that I was never a bona fide machinist.  I was a professional fish biologist.  The only work I ever did as a machinist was in my father's tool and die machine shop when he put me to work when I was in high school and then I continued for a couple years while living at home and going to junior college.  I have only been a "hobby" machinist since 2000, but it took on a life of its own for a long while.  Birth of my granddaughter in 2013 changed that for the better. 

Rick

Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Grandchildren are definitely one of life's major game changers.

Enjoy your granddaughter.

Ken

GKC

Tool chests, fathers, grandchildren. 

The arrival of my granddaughter last year spurred a new round of activity for me because it reopened up the field of children's toys. 

A few days before the visit of my granddaughter this Christmas, I fished out of the attic the old rocking horse that my father, at whose knees I learned woodworking and whose Kennedy tool chest is now in my shop, had made for my daughter 35 years ago.  After a few items of repair and refurbishing, I presented the rocking horse to my granddaughter on Christmas Day.  My father, now 97, was thrilled to see the picture of his great-granddaughter on the rocking horse.

Gord

RickKrung

That is so excellent, Gord.  I have two furniture items made by my great grandfather, that I cherish, a student's roll-top desk/cabinet and large cedar hope chest.  Thus far, I have made five things for my granddaughter, from wood, all of which I'm saving in my storage in the hope that they will still be around for her to use if she has any children. 

I have long enjoyed making things and repairing things for others, but there is something far more special about doing it for grandchildren. 

Rick

Ken S

Gord and Rick,

You have discovered the precious part of a Tormek.  It is not the machine itself, but rather those dear to us with whom we share our creations made or repaired with sharp tools.

Ken