News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How do you sharpen Tanto blade?

Started by Sharpco, March 02, 2019, 11:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 02, 2019, 11:06:26 PM
https://youtu.be/cvlWF_3fcTE

This is my method.

Do you have any other ideas?

I saw this the other day... thought it looked good.

I did wonder... why not do all the sharpening of both sections like you did, then switch to the leather and finish both sections, instead of going back and forth?  My thinking was, not only would it save some time not having to spin the machine, switch the wheels, etc. twice, but if for some reason you had to go back to the first section again (for example to line up the 'point' between the sections), the first honing would be "wasted".

But, overall, looks like it came out great to me... and good overall technique IMO.  Was there something you didn't like about it?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 02, 2019, 11:55:07 PM
I did wonder... why not do all the sharpening of both sections like you did, then switch to the leather and finish both sections, instead of going back and forth?  My thinking was, not only would it save some time not having to spin the machine, switch the wheels, etc. twice, but if for some reason you had to go back to the first section again (for example to line up the 'point' between the sections), the first honing would be "wasted".

But, overall, looks like it came out great to me... and good overall technique IMO.  Was there something you didn't like about it?

The reason I did this was because I believed I should not remove the jig until the sharpening is finished. I think this is best method now, but I wonder if there is a better way.

cbwx34

Quote from: SHARPCO on March 03, 2019, 12:03:48 AM
The reason I did this was because I believed I should not remove the jig until the sharpening is finished. I think this is best method now, but I wonder if there is a better way.

Ah... that makes sense.

Some tanto knives you can get away with only clamping once (still doing each section separately)... guess it just depends on if time is a factor.  But like I said, looked good to me... certainly nice attention to detail! :)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Sharpco

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 03, 2019, 12:12:34 AM
Ah... that makes sense.

Some tanto knives you can get away with only clamping once (still doing each section separately)... guess it just depends on if time is a factor.  But like I said, looked good to me... certainly nice attention to detail! :)

I initially sharpened both sections with a single clamping. But I found it easier to control when using the pivot collar to sharpen the tip section. :)