News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Flat grinding knives with the MB-100 & Diamond Wheel

Started by cbwx34, October 31, 2018, 06:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

So... I've tried "flat grinding" a couple of knives on the side of a diamond wheel, with the MB-100/Diamond Wheel setup...

(The zip-tie is just for the photos).

... I'm finding it worked a bit better than I thought it would (I think the picture in the manual was a bit deceiving).  I'm doing it by standing in front of the wheel (the side of the machine I guess), looking down, so I can see where I'm making contact.

At this point I can say it works... a bit awkward for me at first, but with some practice I think it'll work well.  In fact, it's easier to see contact in the belly/tip area this way.  (Pretty much "lift" method here, although in this case it's not "up" but "out"... towards your body if standing on the side)...  ???

Figured I'd start a thread for some input, and see what others find if/when they try it.

p.s.  I just made a "dry run" with the "4 Stop Collar" setup... I think it might have some potential with this setup also, (for some knives anyway)...

8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Just for grins... :D

... ran the fine side of the Stone Grader on it for a few seconds, to smooth and make sure nothing would catch.  Could be some long term issues with keeping the side flat... but for the occasional knife... worked like a charm!  (Plus not as scary to practice on as an expensive diamond wheel...).  :o

GKC

Very interesting.  This is making me impatient for the diamond wheels to come back into inventory.  Do you have a sense of the length of blade that could be sharpened on the side?  From the pictures of the second knife, positioned lower where more of the diameter of the wheel might be available, it looks like a blade considerably longer than those you were working with could be sharpened on the side.

Gord

cbwx34

Quote from: GKC on October 31, 2018, 10:48:21 PM
Very interesting.  This is making me impatient for the diamond wheels to come back into inventory.  Do you have a sense of the length of blade that could be sharpened on the side?  From the pictures of the second knife, positioned lower where more of the diameter of the wheel might be available, it looks like a blade considerably longer than those you were working with could be sharpened on the side.

Gord

Just making a couple of "dry runs"... looks like I can fit an 8"-10" chef's knife... part of the puzzle too is, I start running out of Support Bar length.  (Nice thing is, since it's all flat, the knife can be angled various ways a bit, without worrying about angle change).

wanderingwhittler

Neat! Thanks for giving it a try and sharing your initial impressions.

I'm curious: when grinding with the side of the wheel, do you need to limit yourself to the portion of the wheel that travels through the water, or is the full side available for use?
Greg
Joy is a sharp knife and a block of wood.

cbwx34

Quote from: wanderingwhittler on November 01, 2018, 07:10:50 PM
I'm curious: when grinding with the side of the wheel, do you need to limit yourself to the portion of the wheel that travels through the water, or is the full side available for use?

Good question.  I used just enough water/mixture to cover just a little of the wheel's side (that ACC is expensive!) :o and initially used my finger to "channel" the water along the side to wet it... the knife seemed to channel enough after that to keep the sections being ground wet.

jasonstone20

Does anyone know if the MB-100 will fit on the T4?

Hannsi1957

Quote from: wanderingwhittler on November 01, 2018, 07:10:50 PM
Neat! Thanks for giving it a try and sharing your initial impressions.

Because of this my CBN Wheels have only a 3 centimeter coated side. this is the maximum ur stone runs into the water. rest is dry. but to be honest i never test it. should do next time :)

cheers Hanns

cbwx34

Quote from: jasonstone20 on August 18, 2020, 07:16:30 AM
Does anyone know if the MB-100 will fit on the T4?

Yes it will... the hole positions for the USB (or MB-100) are the same on all machines.