News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

revisiting the kenjig

Started by Ken S, August 08, 2020, 08:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_B

I think testing a few often used knives at 12° would be a good idea. Butchering meat is normally done in a slicing motion which is not as hard on the edge as chopping things in the kitchen.
If I recall the newer 15° standard came about as a response to the influx of Japanese knives manufactured for the Western market (Shun, Global, et. al.). Asian kitchens generally have 2 cleavers for chopping one for meat and another for vegetables. These are sharpened at higher angles with more steel for support behind the edge.

I think it is good to have a few knives at home for practice and experimentation. Customers seem to value a stronger edge that lasts.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

MrSwede

This might be a stupid question but my math skills aren't the best.
I'm planning to make my own twist on the kenjig and wonder if there is a difference in numbers/distance if I use the support bar in different positions? My logic says it should not make any difference where the bar is, the trigonometry is the same.

cbwx34

Quote from: MrSwede on August 14, 2020, 05:08:34 PM
This might be a stupid question but my math skills aren't the best.
I'm planning to make my own twist on the kenjig and wonder if there is a difference in numbers/distance if I use the support bar in different positions? My logic says it should not make any difference where the bar is, the trigonometry is the same.

If the Projection Distance, Wheel Diameter, and Angle are the same, the distance from the support bar to the wheel will be the same.

So your logic is correct. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)