News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SE-77 Question...

Started by darita, October 30, 2018, 07:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

OK...so I worked on a plane iron and got the SE77 adjusted to grind a nearly square edge on a trued stone.  Now, can I leave the SE77 as is from now on, pretty much or will I have to adjust it with every new edge I grind?

jeffs55

As long as absolutely nothing changes you can leave it like it is until you wear the stone enough to change the angle relative to the chisel. That will take some months or years depending on usage. Every time you use the stone you subject it to wear to some degree but it is a gradual process and is no cause for concern. Now that you have achieved the desired angle on your edge you do not even need the angle gauge anymore or even ever for that matter unless you wanted a certain angle. Next time you are ready to sharpen just take a magic marker and darken the edge of the chisel. Place it in your SE 77 and place that on the USB. Turn on the Tormek and allow the chisel to naturally rest on the spinning stone. Notice the rub on your marker as the stone grinds into it. Adjust the USB up or down to achieve the degree of contact also known as the angle of the grind. When you have enough grind, tighten the lock nuts of the USB. The broader the grind on your magic marker mark, the shallower the angle and the sharper the chisel edge. But, with sharpness comes fragility. The sharper the weaker and the duller the stronger. It is all about the application, the material to be worked, the metal in the blade and maybe something else that I have overlooked.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.