News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Love Rick's pivot collar for curves

Started by wootz, October 25, 2018, 12:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

Since Rick (RickKrung) sent me his pivot collars half a year ago, I use them whenever I have to sharpen a convex, concave or S-shaped blade.
To grind the target angle using our software, the knife jig protrusion is set at the lowest point of the curve, e.g. at the bottom of the concavity.
Rick's collar provides for uniform bevels and accurate apexing no matter what curves

Today it was a hand-forged damascus skinner from an amateur knifemaker, sent for beveling and sharpening, the edge was 0.5 mm thick; by the end of sharpening this skinner scores 95 BESS - "scary-sharp" by our sharpness chart.

Rick, thank you mate. I honestly say your pivot collar deserves way more attention it has got so far. It makes getting a nice edge easy on all those karambits, persian, kukri and fighting knives with complex curves. Obviously, the concavities are sharpened on a radius wheel or a stock wheel with smoothed corners.

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Thanks, Guys.  Hurry, don't wait, supplies are limited, only three left  (riff for "Shave and a Haircut, Two Bits" and a tap dance) ;D

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

I use mine every time I sharpen a knife.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Hogdog6

I just posted before I saw this thread that Rick's collar is a permanent fixture on my knife jig!

Sharpco

Recently, I sharpen LionSteel M3. I couldn't have done it if I didn't have it.

Wootz, do you no longer use laser for LOC?

And could you tell me why don't you remove the adjustable stop?

CW4PWR

Hey Wootz,  Any chance you could make a video on sharpening curved blades?  I can't get my head around sharpening these blades with the Tormek.  Any help or advice would be appreciated.

CW4PWR

wootz

Uploading the convex knife sharpening tonight, please check our channel in a couple of hours
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrs9DEOG9tHbxAH50CKINqA/videos

Your knives that have a concavity can be sharpened on the smoothed corners of the wheel; we do them on CBN radius edge wheels. Doable with the Tormek stock knife jig, but not even close as well as using the pivot collar.
I am uploading a video on sharpening concave knives on Tormek with a stone wheel by the end of the next week. Deburring will be covered as well.

S-shaped knife is the pinnacle of sharpening skills.
S-shaped blades I do with the pivot collar and a laser guide, the video: https://youtu.be/Y6gRe0fuAoo

Cheers,
Vadim

Ken S

Vadim,

I commend you for the pioneering work you have been doing. Our knives are becoming sharper due to your efforts.

I remember a post by Jeff Farris many years ago. Jeff mentioned that do was grinding a radius on the inside corner of his (SG-250) grinding wheel. He did not elaborate, and I do not recall any follow up posts mentioning this. I have long recommended replacing a grinding wheel while there is still some useful life remainng. This would seem an excellent situation for grinding a corner radius on a wheel.

As I recall, Jeff used the stone grader to form the radius. A diamond file might do this more quickly.

Incidentally, I have one of Rick's pivot collars. I think it is a worthwhile tool and, like Herman's platform and Robin Bailey's extended support, it should be part of every knife sharpener's kit. I have not posted much about Rick's pivot collar. This is only because all the limited number of knives I sharpen are either generic shape kitchen knives or standard pocket knives.

Rick and Vadim, keep up the good work!

Ken

Ken S

Vadim,

Your well done video clearly shows the superiority of the even bevel using the pivot collar. This is an improvement which can benefit both high end and more farmers market sharpening.

I would like to also focus the readers' attention to Vadim's technique. His sharpening strokes are very measured and methodical. This is a refreshing change from the quick, choppy (sloppy) rushed strokes often shown. Vadim's sharpening is outstanding, not only for the improved methods he has pioneered, but also because of the care he uses.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on November 10, 2018, 03:39:16 PM
Vadim,

Your well done video clearly shows the superiority of the even bevel using the pivot collar. This is an improvement which can benefit both high end and more farmers market sharpening.

I would like to also focus the readers' attention to Vadim's technique. His sharpening strokes are very measured and methodical. This is a refreshing change from the quick, choppy (sloppy) rushed strokes often shown. Vadim's sharpening is outstanding, not only for the improved methods he has pioneered, but also because of the care he uses.

Ken

I too would like to commend Vadim on the work he does and how much he shares.  I would like to second Ken's comments on Vadims measured and methodical strokes.  After watching him in some earlier videos, it dawned on me, both that and the whole notion of lifting within that measured and methodical motion.  It made a whole world of difference in my sharpening. 

Vadim does an incredibly good job of describing and showing how to use the Pin Pivot Collar.  Thank you, Vadim.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

wootz

I thought I should let you know that we have only 1 Pin Pivot Collar available through our website, and have no plans of making more.
Successful design of Rick.
100+ happy users around the world.

RickKrung

Quote from: wootz on July 04, 2019, 04:33:40 AM
I thought I should let you know that we have only 1 Pin Pivot Collar available through our website, and have no plans of making more.
Successful design of Rick.
100+ happy users around the world.

I will look into having a run made. 

Rick

MR. HD

How would someone order one these? Looks like a great idea. thanks MR. HD

wootz

You can register your request for the Pin Pivot Collar on our website.
http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop.htm

Actually, by now we've got enough requests to justify another production run.
Just check our online shop in 3-4 weeks, when available you will see the BuyNow button.