News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Need Photos"

Started by Ken S, October 12, 2018, 04:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I finally cracked the code:
The problem was that for the "shortcut", which at this point is the only working method for me, I needed to "hit alt + s". The onscrreen keyboard built into my ipad has no alt (option key on a mac keyboard). If I connect my apple wireless keyboard and use alt + s, i can get the photos to load. The attached photo is of a turning skew chisel I reshaped and sharpened on the Tormek. It shows the AlanLacer grind. The original image was size to about 240 kB. I am content with the detail.

While this atachment process is workable, I think it is inefficient.

Thanks for the replies. I hope to have more photos with my posts in the future.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 16, 2018, 02:02:44 AM
I finally cracked the code:
The problem was that for the "shortcut", which at this point is the only working method for me, I needed to "hit alt + s". The onscrreen keyboard built into my ipad has no alt (option key on a mac keyboard). If I connect my apple wireless keyboard and use alt + s, i can get the photos to load. The attached photo is of a turning skew chisel I reshaped and sharpened on the Tormek. It shows the AlanLacer grind. The original image was size to about 240 kB. I am content with the detail.

While this atachment process is workable, I think it is inefficient.

Thanks for the replies. I hope to have more photos with my posts in the future.

Ken

Deja-vu? (Senior moment?) ;)

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 20, 2017, 01:40:18 PM
Quote from: Ken S on September 20, 2017, 11:45:24 AM
ps to CB: I am having technical difficulties posting the early Anglemaster photos. I made them with my ipad and tried to attach them The forum program uses alt+s to attach. My screen keyboard on the ipad has no alt key. I will try using my wireless apple keyboard. It has an alt key.

Ken

I've never used alt+s to attach photos.  Just click on the + sign next to "Attachments and other options, a second box will open, click on "Choose File" a box should appear at the bottom of the page screen (not page).  Click on "Photo Library".... allow access if asked, from there you should be able to find and attach the photo.

(See attached photo!)   ;D

Whoa that picture is big....  ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

I'm quite confused by this whole conversation. 

To have photos show up sized for display in the forum window/screen (not spilling over to the right) I believe they need to be sized to 640 pixels wide, regardless of the file size.  I've downsized Ken's posted image to 640 pixels wide and will insert it in the text after attaching it. 

As for attaching files, I do not see an option for using "Alt-S".  All I see is:
"hit shift+alt+s to submit/post or shift+alt+p to preview". 

When it comes to actually attaching a photo, I only see the options of using the dialog box with "Browse" to bring up a dialog window for selecting a file to attach. 

And then once it is selected, if you want to add more you have to click on the highlighted and "in parentheses" (more attachments). 

Rick

Editing the post above by using the "Modify" button at the top right of the post and inserting the image inline into the message using the "Insert Image" from the rows of buttons above the message text window. 
  The image has been resized to 640x629 pixels  and it is 99kb in size. 

Maybe I'm being redundant and you have it figured out, but I was confused by what I was seeing posted. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I  obviously need more work to master inserting photos. Yes, the size is much too large. I will work on that. At least I could get the photo from my ipad to the postThat was a big step for me. It is certainly not the last tep, but is going in the right direction.

Ken

wanderingwhittler

Quote from: cbwx34 on October 16, 2018, 12:17:17 AM
I don't disagree, but the reality is, the pictures are just designed to be "attached" to the post, not placed within it.  That's an "extra" that you, me, and a few others do. ;)

That being said, there might be an easier way of doing it... someone may know... I've never investigated it.

The key here is at least getting photos attached to the post... anything else is probably a bonus.

I don't have anything to contribute on the subject of making it easier, but I wanted to take a moment to thank you and Rick and the others who go to the effort to do this. I didn't realize it was such a pain.  For some posts it makes a difference in how easy they are to follow and I appreciate the extra effort you go to.
Greg
Joy is a sharp knife and a block of wood.

Fernando

Quote from: RickKrung on October 13, 2018, 03:27:46 PM
If you are talking about the "official" site as the Tormek forum, the old limit may have been four, but I recall they upped it to eight and I have loaded as many at times. 

For photo manipulation, I've been using ACDSee for around 15 yrs.  It does all sorts of stuff and is easy to use.  Yes, it does cost something.  I have PhotoShop and Lightroom but find them way too complicated for fast and easy use.  Mostly what I do for photos I want to upload is 1) Crop and 2) Resize.  Only takes seconds. 

Rick

Rick, I'm glad to know that you also use ACDSee.

I am an amateur photographer, and like you have been using ACDSee for a long time, almost 2 decades, and I would say that it is an application that effectively solves small tasks with photos in a very fast way, cut back, resize, and hundreds of quick adjustments. , how to edit metadata and work in batches, this is quite useful when you have hundreds of photos that you must change the size, all are selected, and you set the size you want, one click and only let the program do magic.

https://www.acdsee.com

Ken S

I have been able to successfully resize photos with the Image Size program. However all of my images seem to be resized to around 125kB, using either my ipad or dslr. With the dslr, it doesn't seem to matter with the otiginal size is. Is there a way to set the amount of reduction? I would really like to have my photos sized to very near 250kB.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on October 22, 2018, 01:09:22 PM
I have been able to successfully resize photos with the Image Size program. However all of my images seem to be resized to around 125kB, using either my ipad or dslr. With the dslr, it doesn't seem to matter with the otiginal size is. Is there a way to set the amount of reduction? I would really like to have my photos sized to very near 250kB.

Ken

I played around with the program and settings a bit, from what I can tell, no.

Again, I don't think it matters... especially posting to the forum.  Curious why you're so concerned with this?  Like I said before... especially in the mobile world... smaller can be a good thing.  I know in another forum I visit, if someone posts a large picture... the first complaint is... "that took forever to load on my phone".

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on October 22, 2018, 01:09:22 PM

Ken

I too, am curious why you are concerned about the file size being around 250kb.  Is that to make it under the Tormek forum site limit? 

I don't worry about the file size (other than to be sure it is under the Tormek limit), just let it happen.  For posting to the web, I typically resize to 640x480 (or 480x640 if portrait) at 300dpi.  Just checked, using ACDSee, with a file that was 1208x960 at 300dpi and 300kb.  Resizing it to 640x480, 300dpi, file size was reduced to 96kb.  Another, much larger file, started out at 3024x4032, 300dpi and 5.5Mb, reduced to 480x640, 300dpi, file size 96kb. 

I'm pretty sure it is the pixel density that determines how photos display on the forum, which is why I limit the largest axis to 640.  Much larger and it spills over on the right. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

CB and Rick,

Bit size is a difficult adjustment for me. Logically I understand it. The problem for me is my film background. Ever since 1963, I have been fighting for the last little bit of image quality. I abhored cropping. I almost never made prints larger than 8x10", even from 4x5 negatives. I was not a sharpness fanatic. I became addicted to micro contrast, the subtle tonal differences between adjoining film grains, which make up textures and tones.

I have gradually made peace with generally acceptable online quality. I have even gotten to the point where I will use a fixed focal length lens and crop.

I appreciate your ideas. I plan to use more photos in the future.

Ken

cbwx34

Go into the app settings...
Turn off "Calculate File Size"...
Ignorance is bliss! 🤫😉

Ken S

Spontaneous laughter, CB   Good one!

Ken