News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bushing for Norton 3X Grinding Wheels

Started by RickKrung, September 26, 2018, 05:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

There has been discussion off and on about adapting Norton 3X (or any other standard grinding wheel) for use on the water cooled, low RPM Tormek.  I've found it very useful and do not want to be without it, even though I have a full complement of Tormek grinding wheels.  To use the Norton wheels, I had to make adapters to fit the 1" arbor hole to the Tormek 12mm shaft.  I know Ken used the plastic bushings that came with the wheels but drilled out some PVC pipe to 12mm to make that final step.  I recall he used a number of fender washers as flanges also.

I've gone off looking for a larger grinding stone (2"x10") for which I'll likely have to make more adapers. 

But...  in that search, I came across some adapters that may be of interest to anyone looking to use the Norton 3X wheels:
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/97/6196/Raptor-R3X-Grinding-Wheel-Bushing-2-Piece-Set

If the 5/8" bushings were used, there would still need to be that final step of drilling out some PVC pipe, but that should be doable by most. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

I asked the Norton rep about custom wheels several years ago. I suspect that Norton would make you a ten by two inch 3X wheel, probably even with 12mm bore for the Tormek. The only drawback is the minimum order quantity, five hundred.  :(

The adaptor looks well designed for its intended purpose, adapting one inch bore grinding wheels to an eight inch diameter, 5/8" bore high speed dry grinder. To the best of my knowledge, stainless steel adaptors with 12mm bore designed for Tormek are not commercially available. It would not be difficult for a machine shop or good home shop machinist to make.

The plastic pipe modification worked for me because the 46 and 80 grit 3X wheels are for reshaping and coarse grinding, not finish work. I finish up with the SG. I had the 5/8" OD plastic pipe and a drill press. Project cost was essentially zero.

My problem with third party vendors who sell wheels supposedly for Tormek is they are still thinking in high speed dry grinder mode. I have found that only Tormek really thinks in low speed wet grinding mode.

I have an idea which I have not had a chance to make. I think making a one inch to twelve mm adaptor designed for the Tormek could be easily designed and built with a 3D printer. If I ever get around to it and it works, I will post the design on the forum. (Don't hold your breath.  :(

Ken