News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-8 carry case

Started by Heli_Guy, September 21, 2018, 09:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heli_Guy

Any suggestion for a good carrying case for the T-8?

jeffs55

Sounds you like you need to be handy with woodworking. Most folks on here will advise you to remove the wheel for transport. Its weight is so much that in a fall, it could bend the drive shaft. Of course what the rest of the frame would look like is anyone's guess. So when you build your travel case put the wheel on top of the frame in a padded cell. That way the frame will be crushed by the weight of the wheel but the frame will cushion the blow.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

I would remove the grinding wheel and place it beneath the T8.

I use a single ball size bowling bag to carry my T4. As our UK friends would say, "it works a treat". I place the grinding wheel back into its original box and set it on the bottom of the bag. The T4 sets on top of the grinding wheel box. There is plenty of room in the bag for accessories and jigs. The bag will actually hold two boxed grinding wheels beneath the T4. The bag has both a hand grip strap and a shoulder strap. With the lighter weight T4, the bag is surprisingly comfortable to carry. I think it would be an ideal set up for an urban sharpener who visited customer locations via public transportation and walking or for a hunting club with a cabin.

My bowling bag cost $32US and no one would ever think it contains expensive camera gear.

I have seen a T8 in a carrying case. I met Stig when he was first showing the T8 to the US dealers. Stig has his T8 in a hard case. I forget the brand name. It was sturdy enough to endure the baggage treatment of transatlantic flying. (Stig is a brave man; he was traveling with only one T8. A misplaced container would have greatly impacted his trip!)

You do not mention your carrying purpose and/or needs. In my case, as a senior citizen, weight is a critical factor. I generally remove the grinding wheel to move a Tormek across my workshop or put it into my car. I think having access to wheels is a top consideration. I like suitases with wheels and collapsible handles. A separate lightweight folding dolly might work, also.

I know a sharpener who carries his belt grinder in a plastic cooler. When he sets up, he places the belt grinder on top of the cooler. It is a comfortable height for working while sitting.

My Tormeks live mostly in my basement workshop. I'm sure our "weekend warriors" who work the farmers markets have ideas.

Whatever you decide, do keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

As Ken said, it depend...

For simple transport in my car, I use those 1x1ft plastic milk bottle transport boxes.  The T8 sticks out the top, and it is not an enclosed container, so it isn't good for other kinds of travel, such as checked baggage, but it works "a treat" for local stuff. 

I use these same crates for all my sharpening accessories and supplies also.  It takes four of them, and a waste basket (I've been doing weekly farmers markets).  When I keep the contents below the top, they stack really nice when space if limited. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on September 21, 2018, 08:17:30 PM
Rick,
Clever set up.
Ken

Thanks, Ken. 

About 2.5 yrs ago, as I was getting my house in Portland, OR ready to sell, I happened upon a major cache of those milk crates at the local "rebuilding" supply, for a buck or so apiece.  I bought 24 (all that they had) as I knew I'd need them for all the metal stock and machining tools that I would be having to move to my new home in Halfway.  They have proved extremely useful and valuable.  Most are still holding what they moved, but what I've been able to empty have been put to other uses, such as my Tormek stuff. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Heli_Guy

I found a good product which I like much better.
It's a stackable solution, larger box can carry the T-8: http://www.sortimo-shop.us/product-p/6000002705.htm
The smaller box can carry the various jigs and another stone wheel: http://www.sortimo-shop.us/product-p/6000002702.htm
They are stackable and click to each other so easy for storage and mobility.
The 102 can be purchased with pluck foam insert to organize and protect the jigs in the carry case.
This is what I'm going to get.

L-BOXX 374
Exterior: (LXWXH) 17.38"X14"X15.38"
Interior: (LXWXH) 14.75"12.31"13.38"

L-BOX 102
Exterior: (LXWXH) 17.38"X14"X4.61"
Interior: (LXWXH) 14.75"12.31"X2.80"