News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Calibration feature of knife jig

Started by Sharpco, September 13, 2018, 03:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

If Tormek decide to make a new knife jig, I want to suggest "the calibration feature"

I think that not only self-centering but also calibration feature are necessary. Because asymmetric bevel(flat grind) or uneven surface of the blade can disable the self-centering.

This can be found not only in knives, which are made very roughly, but also in factory knives produced in the U.S.

Ken S

I agree with you, Sharpco. I would like to see a much more sophisticated knife jig. I doubt you would find the features you want in a forty dollar knife jig. I hope it will happen, although I would be pleasantly surprised if the design got past the projected market size and price critics.

Ken

WolfY

Quote from: SHARPCO on September 13, 2018, 03:37:21 AM
If Tormek decide to make a new knife jig, I want to suggest "the calibration feature"

I think that not only self-centering but also calibration feature are necessary. Because asymmetric bevel(flat grind) or uneven surface of the blade can disable the self-centering.

This can be found not only in knives, which are made very roughly, but also in factory knives produced in the U.S.

Mmmmm/ Lets see. Self centering is the most desirable feature we can ask. That will be good for 99% of the knifes.
Calibration of the jig is yet another feature the is very specific and will probably make the jig even more sophisticated at a very high cost. Money, weight, and ease of usage.
"uneven surface of the blade can disable the self-centering." Depend on the self centering design of cause. Do you have an idea for self centering that collided with uneven surface?

I wonder how much would you guys be prepared to pay for a self centering jig or system?
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

RickKrung

...snip... I want to suggest "the calibration feature" ...snip...

I do not even understand what this is "calibration feature".  Please elaborate.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sharpco

Quote from: WolfY on September 13, 2018, 02:30:34 PM

Mmmmm/ Lets see. Self centering is the most desirable feature we can ask. That will be good for 99% of the knifes.
Calibration of the jig is yet another feature the is very specific and will probably make the jig even more sophisticated at a very high cost. Money, weight, and ease of usage.
"uneven surface of the blade can disable the self-centering." Depend on the self centering design of cause. Do you have an idea for self centering that collided with uneven surface?

I wonder how much would you guys be prepared to pay for a self centering jig or system?

Hello WolfY,

IMHO, the calibration feature is more important than self-centering feature. This is because it enables more sophisticated manipulation like a manual mode of camera. 'Automatic' is a good feature but it can't cope with all the situations.

Sharpco

Quote from: RickKrung on September 13, 2018, 05:36:45 PM
I do not even understand what this is "calibration feature".  Please elaborate.

Rick

Rick,

It is a feature of fixing the blade with a jig and then manually adjusting the angle using a lever. Would it be better to call it adjustment rather than calibration?

WolfY

Quote from: SHARPCO on September 14, 2018, 12:08:03 AM
Quote from: WolfY on September 13, 2018, 02:30:34 PM

Hello WolfY,

IMHO, the calibration feature is more important than self-centering feature. This is because it enables more sophisticated manipulation like a manual mode of camera. 'Automatic' is a good feature but it can't cope with all the situations.

Got your point. Will consider that.
cbwx34, don't jump on me ;)
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

cbwx34

Quote from: WolfY on September 16, 2018, 01:21:36 AM
cbwx34, don't jump on me ;)

As long as you know... I'm lurking in the background...  ;D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Exact Blade

I agree. Rarely is the knife blade centered perfectly in the jig, resulting in slightly different angles on a dual bevel blade.
Exact Blade Inc.

RickKrung

Quote from: Exact Blade on September 27, 2018, 06:40:25 PM
I agree. Rarely is the knife blade centered perfectly in the jig, resulting in slightly different angles on a dual bevel blade.

Agreed.  No question there.  My point in asking was initially simply for clarification of what was meant by "calibration" feature.  Subsequently, once it was clear it was: to further refine/adjust the angle AFTER the blade was held in a self-centering jig, I have two questions, which are really one complicated question. 

If the supposed self-centering jig requires further refinement/adjustment of the angle, then I suggest it has failed in its purpose, and if it has not so failed, then striving for further refinement in the angle is, in my opinion, trying to take things too far - that is, trying to be overly exact in a system that otherwise cannot be that exact. 

Maybe that is really isn't a question or questions..., but maybe it can be stated as such.  If the self-centering jig works, why is it necessary to try to refine the angle any further?

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sharpco

Quote from: RickKrung on September 27, 2018, 06:54:00 PM

Maybe that is really isn't a question or questions..., but maybe it can be stated as such.  If the self-centering jig works, why is it necessary to try to refine the angle any further?

Rick
Rick,

The self-centering feature works when only the blade is properly grinded. Check the knives in my photos above.