News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE GRADE AGGRESSIVE WHEEL

Started by mcase, September 11, 2018, 01:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcase

Hi
I'm looking to replace an SG-250 with a more aggressive stone wheel.   I  only use my Tormek to hollow grind the basic geometry of straight edge woodworking tools.   I  never use the Tormek method and polish the hollow grind. I always set a secondary bevel on a a flat stone.  Hence, I have no need of a dual-grade stone.  I want a stone that will cut faster and glaze less than the SG-250.   Most of the steel I grind is A2, though I sometimes grind high speed steel planer knives.   Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Ken S

Hi, mcase.

Three suggestions: The first is the new Tormek DC-250 coarse diamond wheel. This is listed as 360 grit, however, I have found that it cuts very well, and does not glaze. It is my first choice for a coarse wheel for my Tormek.

My second choice is a CBN wheel. I prefer to use it wet, so my CBN choice is a D-Way 80 or 180 grit wheel. I use them with Honerite Gold, although the new Tormek Anti Corrosion Compound should also work. ACC was not available when I tested the CBN wheels.

My third choice cuts the best. It is a Norton 46 grit 3X wheel. This wheel did not glaze for me. It does wear and occasionally needs dressing. It needs to be adapted to the Tormek 12mm shaft, which is not a big deal. It is a perfect fit for the T4, and very doable with the T7/8. The 3X wheel is also inexpensive, only around $50US.

You have options.......

Ken

mcase

Ken S

You are welcome. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Ken