News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Grinding question

Started by osterdahl, August 22, 2018, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osterdahl

Hello.

I am looking for a tip which technique I should use when grinding this knife?
I have tried to attach the jig in different angels in relation to the edge.
I have also tried to lift, pivot and a combination of both techniques. Nothing works...
The edge-angel gets too steep towards the tip.
Hope You understand despite my english...

I have also contacted Tormek support, but is awaiting their answer.

//Leif

Ken S

Leif,

Welcome to the forum. I am not a knife expert. I just want you to know that support is fluent in Swedish and Norwegian if either of those languages are more comfortable for you than English.

Ken

RickKrung

That looks to be a good candidate for free-handing on a platform.  Or a Pin Pivot Collar, which is not a Tormek jig, but a different collar for a knife jig that allows pivoting at a single axis point. 

For your knife, I see the potential for finding a "center of the circle" for the tip curvature.  Placing a single point pivoting collar at that center should allow you to pivot the knife through the radius somewhat matching the curvature of your knife.  When done pivoting through that curve, glide the whole knife/jig assembly along the USB, for the more straight section of the blade. 

I think Jan would be a great one to show us graphically. 

Free-handing on a platform would allow you to rotate the blade through whatever curvature it has and maintain the bevel angle throughout.  I know Herman Travilino posted about making a platform, but I haven't found his original post.  Others have made similar ones.  For mine, I used the Scissor Jig (SVX-150) platform and added a length of aluminum plate.  I believe others have used the Tool Rest platform (SVD-110). 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

osterdahl

Thank You for the answer!
I did not think of the SVS-110...
But, I have sharpened a pizza slicer with that!
I will test this.

osterdahl

RichColvin

The platform to which Rick is speaking is attached to the SVD-110.  I've a picture of Jan's approach on my site in the Jigs section. 

Kind regards,
Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

osterdahl

Thank You Rich for pointing me to Your site! Bookmarked!

osterdahl

Hello again.
A good nights sleep and some trying solved the problem!
A weird angle for the jig provided enough space for me to be able to go straight on the first bit of the blade. Then I combined lifting an pivoting on the radius. Worked real well!

WolfY

Rick's explanation couldn't be more accurate. He nailed it perfectly and you got it right. Nice job.
As for sharpening pizza slicer? Did you get it perfectly round with the platform?
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

osterdahl

I canĀ“t say "perfectly round", if I should look in a microscope maybe it would look terrible...  :)
But to me it was ok. And my daughter said it was SHARP!  8)

Herman Trivilino

Quote from: RickKrung on August 23, 2018, 07:15:25 AM
I used the Scissor Jig (SVX-150) platform and added a length of aluminum plate.  I believe others have used the Tool Rest platform (SVD-110). 

The tool rest won't work because the platform is too far from the rotation axis. You need something like the base of the scissors jig.

The tool rest works well for blunt edge angles. Knives are sharpened at much smaller angles.
Origin: Big Bang

Ken S

I am one of the "others" who used the SVD-110 platform to make two small platforms (one for the T4; one for the T7). They work, however, the scissors jig platform used by Herman works much better.

Both the SVD-110 and the scissors jig platform require some minor user modification to work as small platforms. The scissors jig platform sits closer to the support bar. Herman is correct; that's the one to use.

Ken