News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

rethinking setting turning tools

Started by Ken S, August 04, 2018, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

After much study, I believe I have discovered the supposed difficulty in sharpening the 40/40 grind. In the process I have deepened my understanding of both the gouge jig and the setting tool.

I have often stated my belief that the SVD-186 gouge combined with the TTS-100 is Tormek's most innovative jig and set up tool combination. Include the SVS-50 Multi Jig, and it is a very powerful combination.

The next part is my opinion. When a question is asked about something like sharpening the 40/40 grind, we often mistakenly think it cannot be done with a Tormek. This is not correct. I believe the Tormek designers thought that explaining the full potential of the turning tools combination would prove confusing to the average Tormek user. So, they put together a preprogrammed group of seven combinations, as recommended by leading turners. In general, I believe this was a wise decision. However, this selective process also excluded many other leading turners.

Tormek selected 30° and 45° as the chosen bevel angles. These were not bad choices, however, after becoming accustomed to using the labels, it is too easy to assume that they are the only two bevel angle choices. Gouge and skew bevels can be as versatile as chisel bevel angles if you do not limit yourself to the three projection slots.

With the new 186 jig, the seven sweep settings are fixed. 99% of the time, this is a real improvement over the older 185 design, where slippage was a problem. For very precise sweep settings, the older jig might work better, especially if the setting was left fixed. Personally, I prefer the newer jig.

The projection and distance settings on the TTS-100 need not be limited to the jig's presets. Setting turning tools can be set as easily as with a kenjig or similar tool.

The 40/40 grind or something almost identical is possible with the Tormek; it just didn't make the preset cut.

Like Tormek, I believe that the vast majority ofTormek turners will be very well served by the presets. However, we should not feel limited to the pre sets.

Ken

Ken S

I have been rethinking my initial post. While I have a good understanding of Tormek set up, my actual turning knowledge is lean, to phrase it kindly. With my lathe finally functioning, I hope to change that.

The TTS-100 is calibrated for 45° and 30º set up. How much real world diffetence is there between 45° and 40º? I don't know; that is why I am asking.

Ken