News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Frontal Vertical Base

Started by Ken S, July 17, 2018, 10:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Quote from: PaGorg on October 13, 2019, 11:57:10 PM
...snip...
My home made FVB is so shallow the Universal Support hits the Tormek housing about half way down.

Home made?  I am interested in what you did.  Your photo shows what looks to me like a cast part as your FVB mount.  It also appears to be a smaller piece that mounts one each end of the USB clamp. 

Could you post some other views of your FVB mount - the part that attached to the USB clamp and had the 12mm rods extending out, please? 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

Rick beat me to the punch :  I wondered the same thing.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

PaGorg

I couldn't find square tubing or aluminium block in the right size, so I decided to try clamping the legs directly to the XB-100.

I found these "12mm linear rail shaft support" on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32336816419.html

Drilled and tapped four M5 holes in the XB-100 and screwed the clamps in place.

Used a "12x300 linear shaft" in one of the clamps and a threaded bar from a local store in the other:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32336820800.html

Time will tell if it's solid enough  :)

smurfs

PaGorg, that is really a clever and cost effective solution. Thanks for sharing.

My guess is it will be strong enough but if you find it is not you have the option of mounting the SHF12 Flange Mounts to a 107mmx50mm backing plate and then mount the XB-100 to that plate using the existing 4 holes (or perhaps that's going over the top :)).

Jan

PaGorg, simple, clever and inexpensive solution. Thanks for sharing. I am almost sure it will work fine.  :)

For grinding angle setup you can use one of several free spreadsheets available on this forum. My excel spreadsheet entitled "KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1" enables to calculate the wheel-support distance for given wheel radius, projection length and bevel angle. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypbtaxgycgoyls0/KENJIG_wheel_support_distance_1.xlsb?dl=1

It was discussed several times here, e.g.:
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3320.msg19878#msg19878

Jan

PaGorg

Thanks, Jan. I'll have a look your spreadsheet.
Right now I'm trying out the "TormekCalc" spreadsheet by 'jvh', and it seems to work great.

Jan

TormekCalc - Excel spreadsheet is quite sophisticated script. I recommend it!

I have checked the numerical accuracy of TormekCalc by calculating the height of the USB above Tormek housing and also the distance between the USB and the wheel surface. I can confirm that TormekCalc results are identical with my results with an accuracy of 0.001 mm.

Jan

Morne1312

I Received my FVB Yesterday after waiting in pure anticipation for what seemed like a month but was actually a week. The postal system sent it back and forth and after tracking it through numerous phone calls I drove 60kilometers to go and collect it in a whole different town......

But never the less I got it, and after using some very good advice from Wootz via mails I have at last with the help of Tormek Diamond wheels and the FVB achieved the next level in sharpness compared to what I was used to. Still have a long way to go to get extra felt wheels and various compound but from what I have I have at least achieved hair splitting sharpness!!!

Thank you so much Wootz for all the effort in getting the FVB to me as well as the advice. So much appreciated!

ottertok

Is it still safe to buy anything from Knife Grinders website. I would like to get the Windows software for the FVB?

cbwx34

Quote from: ottertok on March 13, 2022, 02:02:02 PM
Is it still safe to buy anything from Knife Grinders website. I would like to get the Windows software for the FVB?

Every post I've read recently indicates the FVB from Knifegrinders is no longer available.  And the software only works with their FVB.  (So, I would say no to both).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Morne1312

The other question would also be. Every now and then after a phone update or even software update i had to get a pin code from wootz.  Would the software still be supported or what is the plans going forward? I would want to see spending the amount of money on software etc only to be told it will be discontinued?

Ken S

Knife Grinders was essentially a one man operation. Unfortunately, Vadim, the one man, passed away. I do not see anyone in his family or business capable of continuing to update his software. As much as I liked and respected Vadim, I would look elsewhere for software and products.

Ken

Morne1312

Yes I'm aware of that. I already have the software for the FVB and the angle setter. Just worries that I might pick up problems if it asks for a code again

Ken S

I would use the software, while everything is current, and write the combinations on 3x5 index cards. Sharpening the same or similar knives where the Projection, Distance, and wheel diameter remain constant, the set up will remain the same over time whether or not your software works or not. A few index cards should cover the waterfront for you.
This is math, not magic. Much of it goes back to ancient Greece.

Ken

BeSharp

Quote from: Ken S on March 13, 2022, 04:13:57 PM
Knife Grinders was essentially a one man operation. Unfortunately, Vadim, the one man, passed away. I do not see anyone in his family or business capable of continuing to update his software. As much as I liked and respected Vadim, I would look elsewhere for software and products.

Ken

I, and I'm guessing many others, hope that's not going to be true.He had a very established sharpening business that sharpened hundreds of knives per day for abbatoirs and slaughterhouses. Given that volume, he undoubtedly had employees. His business used the same products. So it is likely that KG products will be available again in the future.

The KG FVB was made by a contractor using CNC milling, so it could easily be made again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuIiiJeaDns.

As for the software, he had contractors who wrote it; here's a pic of one of the software developers: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxA-NB3X_YgK4bidiQif6csDxYG-tAdUac

What I'm really hoping for is Tormek to produce and support a FVB. It's a simple device, and practically everyone has a smartphone or computer. I think the selling feature for Tormek is NOT sharper edges, but SAFETY - using a FVB lessens the chance of a knife being honed being "pulled off" the honing wheel. Come on Tormek, let's enter the 21st century!