News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Frontal Vertical Base

Started by Ken S, July 17, 2018, 10:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

BeSharp,

Like you, I would be very pleased to see some of Vadim's Australian associates carry on the work of Knife Grinders.
I don't think anyone can deny the role Vadim played in advancing knife sharpening. Sadly, his passing cut short that work.

I would be very surprised if Tormek decided to manufacture and sell FVBs. Tormek has consistently preferred using the leather honing wheel handheld. This preference goes back at least as far as Jeff Farris' videos and still continues in the latest online honing class. I am not saying that either Tormek or Vadim is right or wrong, only that they represent two different schools of thought.

I respect the opinion of a sharpener skilled in both methods. I have less respect for sharpeners who have not bothered to master handheld honing.

Ken

tgbto

QuoteI respect the opinion of a sharpener skilled in both methods. I have less respect for sharpeners who have not bothered to master handheld honing.

Sir,

With all due respect, I find this kind of statement condescending to say the least. To continue along these lines, you'll probably find someone else who will not respect your own opinion because you haven't bothered to [insert required skill here] and are cutting corners in their view. You pick said skill : grind handheld with the hands on the USB, grind handheld without the USB, use slow-cutting natural-stones instead of synthetic ones, sharpen handheld on a whetstone, on a belt sander, hone without a chemical compound, heat-treat a blade, make your own knife, shape a blade, temper/forge a blade, make your own steel... We're probably all cutting someone else's corners at some point.

The Tormek way is about controlling the angle, the FVB helps do that for honing as well as grinding edge-trailing without fussing with screws. Wootz has demonstrated on numerous occasions that the honing angle had a noticeable effect on the burr removal process. My very short experience shows that there is a significant difference in sharpness when changing the honing angle by 2 degrees, and I will personally not have a sub-degree accuracy when honing hand-held.

I can see numerous reasons why Tormek wouldn't want to sell a FVB, among which:
- patent issues, such as not being able to patent it because the FVB idea predates theirs
- difficulty to recognize that their previously advertised method could be questionable (AngleMaster with tapered knives, anyone ?)
- angle setting complexity without using a software or tables, and measuring to a reference point
- profitability issue

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if the T-9 had an additional set of well-placed USB holes. Or, who knows, a 8-inch stropping wheel and a way to reverse the direction of the rotation.

That being said, I fail to see what is not to be respected in using a suitable tool and practicing with it. Especially when you are not able to dedicate time to acquire the aforementioned master-level skills, yet still find controlled angle sharpening a satisfactory-way to meet your sharpening needs.

Cheers,

Nick.

Ken S

Nick,

Your points are well made; I was out of line. I would like to amend my statement to read that while I respect someone who has mastered both methods, I also respect someone who chooses to sidestep one method for well articulated reasons. I certainly respect the outstanding work of Vadim.

My own knife sharpening is low volume and rather humble. I can see where many sharpeners might have more demanding requirements with more high tech knives. Different strokes for different folks.

Ken

Tullamann

Quote from: tgbto on March 16, 2022, 04:53:30 PM
Still, I wouldn't be surprised if the T-9 had an additional set of well-placed USB holes.

The old Tormek PR-250 had an additional sleeve for universal support close to the honing wheel, I suppose this was to support guided honing.
Here is link to a PR-250 that recently was up for sale in Norway: https://www.finn.no/bap/forsale/ad.html?finnkode=245753135

I have a SuperGrind 4000 that does not have the extra sleeve near the honing wheel, I have added a XB-100 Horizontal base so I can use a FVB.

Ken S