News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rust eraser...

Started by cbwx34, July 12, 2018, 04:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Still my "go to" for cleaning the wheel... (mainly the SJ wheel).  Cleans without a lot of wear on the wheel.

Still on the fence?  Here's more reasons...

https://youtu.be/frqVgx3LT9I

:)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

Quote from: cbwx34 on July 12, 2018, 04:45:34 PM
Still my "go to" for cleaning the wheel... (mainly the SJ wheel).  Cleans without a lot of wear on the wheel.

Still on the fence?  Here's more reasons...

https://youtu.be/frqVgx3LT9I

:)

Thanks CB,

I have a set of three grits, but I used them on an oily lathe collet chuck and so I'm not willing to use them on my grinding stones.  I ordered a set of the Sabitorus from a link provided with the video. I've mentioned I use a Nagura stone, but I am interested in the scratch removal aspect for knives and other more "fine" things.  I'll use the oil stained ones for general rust removal. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

Fortunately rust erasers are inexpensive and long lasting. My set of three has seen a lot of (dry) service for over twenty years and is still going strong. Every shop should have a set of them!

Ken

Grizz

I've used them for a couple years now. I really like them. does work wonders for cleaning the stones.

Ken S

I use them for removing staining and light surface rust. I like having the choice of three grits. No fuss, no muss. Just a few swipes and you are back to good metal.

Ken

jeffs55

Great idea for those that leave grind marks on the knives they have sharpened, I do not. I consider it a mark of a professional not to, how I got into that category is unknown.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff,

With my stop and go schedule, I sometimes get behind watching linked videos. I was impressed with how the rust erasers removed the scratches on the knife. I was also surprised. My knife sharpening experience is not extensive, however, I don't recall ever scratching a knife. I use my rust erasers for, of all things, removing rust and metal stains.

I have always used the rust erasers dry.

I will keep this video in mind with working on knives in the future which have become scratched. Like thinning a high bolster or eliminating the "green onion" low spot in a blade curve, caring for scratched or rusty knives is part of the trade. One of the things I appreciate about Steve Bottorff's Sharpening School is that he shows how to deal with the real world problems.

Ken

RickKrung

I may only have two coarsenesses of rust erasers (the oily ones), at least when I went looking for them, that is all I came up with.  The finer one was not so oily, with a nice clean edge just about the width of our wheels. 

Tried it on an SJ wheel that had the typical black markings after sharpening two pocket knives.  Black marks in this case are due to steel from the blades and black sharpie marker.  I was astonished at how quickly the SJ stone cleaned up.  Seconds.  Where the Nagura stone takes a minute or more and a lot more pressure. 

The "dedicated" REs that I ordered from CB's link have shipped so I am anxious to get them and see how they work.  I think some have mentioned using them on the SG and/or SB stones.  I've not noticed much that I'd say needs cleaning, so I am curious how/why they'd clean up and how would I know it. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

WolfY

Interesting. wonderful. didn't know about this erasers.  I wonder if I can get them here?
Will check a.s.a.p.

Thanks for the info.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

RickKrung

Quote from: WolfY on July 14, 2018, 09:26:54 PM
Interesting. wonderful. didn't know about this erasers.  I wonder if I can get them here?
Will check a.s.a.p.

Thanks for the info.

Does Amazon ship internationally?  Here is the link that was embedded in the comments below the YT video.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Eraser-Sabitoru-Medium-2-piece/dp/B00FS0BFJC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1531349997&sr=8-1&keywords=sabitoru&linkCode=sl1&tag=2guysacooler-20&linkId=5ec48f64847b1263df2862b7feb778b6

One day from ordering to shipping.  A week for shipping, but that is not relevant to your situation, Wolfy.

Rick

Sharpco

Astonishing. I didn't know that it had such a great scratch removal ability.

RickKrung

Quote from: RickKrung on July 15, 2018, 04:02:30 AM
Does Amazon ship internationally?  Here is the link that was embedded in the comments below the YT video.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Eraser-Sabitoru-Medium-2-piece/dp/B00FS0BFJC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1531349997&sr=8-1&keywords=sabitoru&linkCode=sl1&tag=2guysacooler-20&linkId=5ec48f64847b1263df2862b7feb778b6

One day from ordering to shipping.  A week for shipping, but that is not relevant to your situation, Wolfy.

Rick

Received today.  None of my wheels need cleaning.  I might have to dirty some to find out how well they work. 

Rick