News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

best Tormek knife sharpening video

Started by Ken S, July 10, 2018, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

This is the best Tormek knife sharpening video I have ever found. Steve Bottorff's Sharpening School is outstanding, however, Steve uses the Tormek in conjunction with other sharpening equipment. This video essentially uses a T8 right out of the box. A couple non Tormek accessories are used, however, the Tormek, SG-250 Original Grindstone, and Tormek leather honing wheel and TA-70 are used exclusively.

Surprisingly, this video was made in Australia, not in Sweden. Kudos to the maker, our forum's own Wootz. Here is a link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UckPmizllk0#fauxfullscreen

For me, this video shows much about Wootz' superior sharpening technique. First of all is Wootz' attention to detail. He starts with a freshly trued grinding wheel. In my opinion, this sets the right tone for good sharpening.

He follows with a very accurately set knife jig. No slop; no close guessing; accurate.

His stone grading technique is impeccable. This level of grading accuracy might be possible with the stone grader, but only with much care and skill.

His set up technique with the leather honing wheel is just as carefully executed as the grinding wheel set up. Not only is his set up accurate, look at his knife movement. There is no slop, only well controlled movement.

His BESS reading of 75 is most impressive. That is one sharp knife.

I don't know how much difference Wootz' Frontal Vertical Base and diamond grading plate make. I will find out. I have a 1000 grit diamond plate like Wootz recommends. The Frontal Vertical Base I purchased from him left Sydney this morning. My gut feeling is that both will prove useful. I also believe that even without these, the Tormek user can learn much from Wootz' disciplined technique. In writing about some of Tormek's recent advances, I have often stated my belief that the original Tormek and technique are still as good as ever. I believe that. I also believe that Wootz has made the original Tormek better through his work. I look forward to seeing what comes from Australia in the future!

Ken

Grizz

you will like the new FVB. I've had mine about two weeks now. (check your mail Thursday)

AKMike

Watching that video reminded me of a trick that Glenn Lucas uses when he needs to move the Micro Adjust a long distance - with the machine running, remove the USB and hold the Micro Adjust against the leather wheel. Flip for the other direction.

Mike

Sharpco

I think Tormek should learn a lot from Wootz.

Ken S

Grizz, I eagerly anticipate my mail on Thursday.

Mike, good tip. I realize that Wootz was trying to keep things basic. Being a Tormek addict, I would have changed support bars for the grading and leather honing wheel.

Sharpco, I do not believe there is any shortage of knowledge at Tormek. One on one, we can learn a lot from support. In my opinion, the real problem is that making instructional videos is a very low corporate budget priority. I think that is unfortunate, as Tormek has an excellent product, knowledgeable staff, and a nice teaching studio.

Ken

After thought:  I do not mean to imply that Tormek has not done good videos. I have enjoyed the friends series. I like the concept of showing very skilled, likeable persons using the Tormek. Of course, they are marketing videos, however, I do not mean that as a criticism. I have watched them all several times, especially the one with Per, the fisherman. I love the warm humor.

I would like to note my favorite descriptive video about the Tormek product line. Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/ESW3wy0PI18

This is a longer, more in depth interview with Stig by Stumpy Nubs. For anyone considering investing in a Tormek, this video, in my opinion, is the most informative. On a personal note, I have had the pleasure of meeting Stig several times over the years. For me, this video combines excellent information with happy memories. It is a must watch.

Ken S

Did anyone ever ask Vermeer how long it took to made a painting?    :)

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on July 10, 2018, 11:28:18 PM
This is the best Tormek knife sharpening video I have ever found. Steve Bottorff's Sharpening School is outstanding, however, Steve uses the Tormek in conjunction with other sharpening equipment. This video essentially uses a T8 right out of the box. A couple non Tormek accessories are used, however, the Tormek, SG-250 Original Grindstone, and Tormek leather honing wheel and TA-70 are used exclusively.

I think Jeff's video is probably the "best" "out of the box" Tormek knife sharpening video... showing the basics of all the elements of knife sharpening... no "add-ons".  Wootz's video is good for showing the "upper limits" of what may be achieved in sharpening on a Tormek, but to me it's similar to what you describe with Steve's videos... in that, it uses "other equipment", not the basic items to sharpen the knife.  Jeff's shows it in probably it's simplest form, IMO, and includes demonstrating all the key points... Anglemaster, Stone Grader, Jig, Leather Wheel, etc.

p.s. Isn't that a T-7? ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Points well taken, CB.

Yes, that is a T7....senior moment.

I have always liked Jeff's videos. I consider his turning videos (part of the woodturner's information box) to be Tormek's finest. I like his other videos, too. They are staples. My problem is the technique. I find the Anglemaster clumsy with knives. The black marker is easier to use, however it presumes the knife already has the desired bevel angle.

I have become disenchanted with handheld stropping, also. I use it almost exclusively, however, I have never seen it produce BESS numbers approaching Wootz' with jig honing.I will be pursuing guided honing, both with and without Wootz' FVB.

Ken