News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T4 vs T8 grid hollownes

Started by troflog, July 09, 2018, 11:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on July 16, 2018, 01:00:52 AM
CB,

I owe you an apology. My choice of the word "caustic" was not well chosen. I did not mean to offend you.
Ken

All good... you're back on my Christmas card list. :)

Quote from: troflog on July 16, 2018, 11:35:49 AM
Do anybody know if the t4 will get a diamond stone in the future.

The diamond wheels for the T2 will fit on the T4.  (Currently, there is a coarse and fine available).  These wheels differ from the larger T8 diamond wheels, in that they don't have any diamond coating on the side... and are not "designed" to be used wet, only dry.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Troflog,

Tormek presently sells two diamond wheels which work very well with the T4.The DWF-200 (Diamond Wheel Fine-200 mm diameter, 600 grit) and the DWC (Coarse, 360 grit).

Tormek only markets these two diamond wheels for the T2, their very specialized restaurant model. However, the T2 is essentially a modified T4. Almost all of the parts, including the EZYlock which holds the wheel, are the same. One of the first things I did when my T2 arrived was to mount the DWS-200 on the T4. It was a perfect fit. This allowed Tormek's wheel specifically designed for sharpening knives to work (on the T4) with the entire lineup of Tormek jigs. The DWC coarser wheel works just as well with the T4. Although the DWC is listed as 360 grit, I have found that the very sharp diamonds cut more quickly than the 220 grit SG-200 standard wheel. This grit design has served Tormek well forty years. I do not see not having the side grit as a constraint.

There is no side abrasive abrasive on these two wheels. Because of their structure, they only work dry, which means that there is no danger of freezing. They do not wear down or need truing.

I have no idea if Tormek will eventually duplicate the larger selecting of three diamond wheel for the T4. Tormek primarily markets the T8, its flagship. I think that is unfortunate. The T4 uses all the same jigs as the T8. With the light grinding pressure required to use diamond wheels, the T8's larger motor offers no advantage. I wish Tormek would drop its lower cost, home hobbiest shop marketing and market the T4 for what it really is, a full Tormek in a much more portable size and weight.

Ken

Ken S

Thanks, CB.

I would miss our good natured, friendly banter.  :)

Ken

troflog

The T4 with truing tool, long and short knife jib, axe and scissor jig is ordered:)

Ken S

Troflog,

I trust your new Tormek will serve you well for many years. I hope you will post your comments about it, both what you like and what you dislike.

Ken

troflog

Quote from: Ken S on July 17, 2018, 02:56:38 PM
Troflog,

I trust your new Tormek will serve you well for many years. I hope you will post your comments about it, both what you like and what you dislike.

Ken
Just read this post.

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3433.0

1.It is a little confusing, but will the Tormek t-4 spill a lot of water around the table (compared with the t-8)?

2.Will it work to put a magnet in the tray in order to avoid metal clogging the sharpening stone