News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to get razor-sharp knives on Tormek

Started by wootz, June 29, 2018, 11:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Elden

Quote from: RickKrung on November 16, 2018, 05:56:58 PM

I am hoping these are actually the same document.  Wootz will have to verify if different. 

As you stated Wootz will have to verify it, but I believe the link you provided has more material in it than the original link.
Elden

RickKrung

Quote from: Elden on November 16, 2018, 08:06:35 PM
Quote from: RickKrung on November 16, 2018, 05:56:58 PM

I am hoping these are actually the same document.  Wootz will have to verify if different. 

As you stated Wootz will have to verify it, but I believe the link you provided has more material in it than the original link.

Indeed!  10 (743kb) pages vs 31 (2.8MB). 

The "book" version is the only one I can find on his web sited.  It is listed under its own heading "Deburring" on his "Resources" page.

Under the "Manuals" heading further down the page, there is nothing listed for deburring. 

Under the "SEM Images" there is a very interesting article about honing after Japanese stones and CBN/Diamonds at 1000 grit. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Sigs

I am on the road to starting a local business to sharpen cutlery, woodworking tools, and perhaps shears and clippers. I have spent the past four years using the EdgePro system with stones up to 10000 (Chosera). I've obtained great results and the people I sharpen for are ecstatic with the results. I am starting to accumulate equipment to allow for a  higher production number. I'm looking at the Grizzly Paper system starting with the low speed bench grinder and two paper wheels, the Tormek T-8 and included small piece jigs, but nothing else at this time. When I get busier I will add the Wolff Twice as-Sharp for scissors. How does this sound to everyone? Suggestions would be very appreciated.
John

wootz

I've added a chapter on high-end knives, and if you sharpen wear-resistant blades, it is worth a look.
Also did a few minor edits here and there to better wording.
http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Knife_Deburring_book.pdf

This book has everything I know on the topic, and after we've changed our sharpening to include everything we've learned, our knives last for 7 carcasses, and have passed the ultimate test in a Sydney meat plant.

In this meat plant trial 4 operators were boning with 1 our knife each for 4.5 hours.
Average starting sharpness = 68 BESS
Average sharpness after 7 carcasses = 214 BESS, the best scoring knife ended at 130 BESS.
For comparison, the plant-sharpened knives avg starting score was 130 BESS, by the end avg score was 252 BESS, and they lasted for 5-6 carcasses.

We are now branding our sharpening procedure as a 7-Carcasses Edge

GKC

Vadim,

Scientific analysis and real world utility are often missing in sharpening lore and literature.  I think the sharpening world owes you a debt of gratitude for applying the former to the latter and publishing the results in an instructional form.

Gord

Ken S

Scott an Edge

How do I convince my Wife that I 'need' a FVB for Christmas....

Very interesting thread.

Seems that the right equipment with the right method produces a quality product - I know that sounds a little simplistic and really doesn't do justice to the work that Vadim and many others have done getting this art/science to the level of the mirrored knife picture. Amazing!

Well done
Scott

Ken S

Scott,

Tell your wife that the FVB will help you maintain her kitchen knives better. Hopefully she knows you well enough to immediately see through this dodge, but will let you get it anyway.

Ken

Scott an Edge

Dodgy it is.....in the time honoured tradition of 'it is easier to beg forgiveness, rather than ask permission' there should be a new FVB arriving in the mail tomorrow 😃 (thanks Vadim).

Back on topic; I will be happy to consistently produce a durable edge in the 80-100 BESS range.

Cheers Scott

Ken S