News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Gee, I'm a tree"

Started by cbwx34, June 21, 2018, 05:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

ONE reason I got into the Cosine Formula, and subsequent Cadd diagramming, was because of the "4-Stop Collar" setup...

... when I would set the angle on the Tormek, the USB location would be very close to the location of the original jig.  Surely something was wrong, as the location of the USB/pivot points are up to 12mm off...

... and yet when positioned on a scale diagram (same: Diameter, Projection Distance, Angle)... the truth is revealed...

... at some angles it's nearly identical.  Formula was right haha.

(I hate it when facts interfere with the way I think things should be).  :o
Geometry.  What a b----.  :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

CB,

I found that the 4-stop. collar (or as I call it, the "Pivot Jig for the Tormek SVM-45") works really well for sharpening garden pruning shears.  The sharply curved blade on the pruning shears was difficult to sharpen otherwise.

Great idea you had there, and is the recommended approach I put on my site for that tool :  http://sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-Pruner.html .

Kind regards,
Ri ch
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on June 22, 2018, 12:20:55 PM
CB,

I found that the 4-stop. collar (or as I call it, the "Pivot Jig for the Tormek SVM-45") works really well for sharpening garden pruning shears.  The sharply curved blade on the pruning shears was difficult to sharpen otherwise.

Great idea you had there, and is the recommended approach I put on my site for that tool :  http://sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-Pruner.html .

Kind regards,
Ri ch

Wow. Nice!  Thanks for shearing! ;)

(It actually startled me to see this "in the wild").  ;D

BTW, your website is becoming quite an accumulation of info... every time I go there, I find something new. 👍👍

WolfY

Nice. Where do you get this pivot jig?
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

cbwx34

Quote from: WolfY on June 24, 2018, 09:12:48 AM
Nice. Where do you get this pivot jig?

It's put together with 4 Stop Collars... I used THESE... and a 12mm screw (I cut the head off the bolt, but THIS should work). (I also used Loctite on the end that goes into the collar around the shaft of the jig).

The center collar is not tightened down, but left free to rotate between the two outer collars.

I also have it setup on a jig/clamp from a KME sharpener (here's a photo with both)...

... this give me a "self-centering" jig. ;)  (Only 2 stop collars are needed... the center silver tube rotates around the jig).

(p.s.... Either one has a limit of about an 8" blade... then the collar hits the shaft that goes into the Tormek).  :(

WolfY

Thanks cb,
Thought it would be something like that.
Do you think cutting the collar to half with angle consideration for the knife gig angle would work? Passing the USB legs allowing for long knives?
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

cbwx34

Quote from: WolfY on June 24, 2018, 01:59:33 PM
Thanks cb,
Thought it would be something like that.
Do you think cutting the collar to half with angle consideration for the knife gig angle would work? Passing the USB legs allowing for long knives?

I don't know... but in looking at it, that is an interesting idea! :)