News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

parts

Started by Ken S, June 20, 2018, 12:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Fernando,

We have two traditions with innovations: One group freely shares ideas, although "free" may include payment from a magazine. The other group prefers to think of ideas as potential business opportunities. I respect both.

I can understand why Tormek limits its inventory of accessories. They are a business, with business obligations. Tormek has been scammed by clonners making copy cat machines. I also understand why Tormek hesitates to share information.

I like the idea of freely sharing information. I have seen on the forum that ideas grow with adding more minds. I realize have the luxury of not being a professional sharpener relying on my sharpening income.

What concerns me more than whether information is free or comes with a charge is the quality of the information. When we watch Jeff Farris' videos, we are watching a man with extensive practical Tormek practice. So many of the available videos, including the one recently mentioned show not only a lack of good information; they have misleading information.

We try to provide an alternative with the forum, however, it is hard for text to compete with youtube today.

Ken

Grizz

personally think that u-tube may be the starting point for many, but eventually they will go to the forum to get the real nitty gritty.

Grizz

but you are correct Ken, they shouldn't get discouraged by someone who is not as knowledgeable or proficient using the Tormek machines.

Ken S

I have always actively sought out training. At one time, my employer sponsored evening classes in basic electricity and digital theory. I signed up for both. Both were taught by the same young instructor. I had a good electrical background, but knew almost nothing about digital theory. I soon realized the instructor had a confused knowledge of electricity. I dropped out of the digital class. With no background, I was concerned that misinformation would be worse than no information.

I would not want new Tormekers to get started with misinformation. I hope the forum " can head off some of these disasters at the pass"  (an English idiom from the old western cowboy movies meaning to get there first).

Ken

Grizz

LOL very well stated Ken !

SharpenADullWitt

I have been interested in 3d printing for some time.  However I can't afford one that fits my needs (size/prints in metal).
That said, today's 3d printing is at the stage that would equal computers in the early 80's, when there were more competitors and OS's (Apple II, Commodore, 8086).  I expect it to be a lot more useful in 10 to 20.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Based on my extremely little experience with 3D, I would agree. One project I have started has two parts averaging around ten hours printing timr for each part. I can see room for improvement!

Ken