News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

parts

Started by Ken S, June 20, 2018, 12:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

As a Tormek tinker, I have purchased parts for projects from many sources over the years. Sometimes the projects proved successful; often they were not successful. My first parts came from Jeff Farris at Sharptoolsusa. I stayed with this same source when it became part of Advanced Machinery. Almost all of my Tormek jigs and accessories were purchased from my local Tormek dealer, Hartville Hardware, generally during show days when they were 20% off. I have purchased several spare jigs for projects from ebay. I have bought odd parts at several local hardware stores. Rick and Rich have machined some nice parts for me.

I have recently discovered a new source for parts. I purchased a 3D printer for my grandson. Those of us who think the Tormek has a learning curve have never assembled or used a 3D printer! Some parts are good candidates for 3D printing; some are not. Parts like the steel EZYlock and quick connect I purchased for my T4 are best purchased through a Tormek dealer like Advanced Machinery. Things like the locking screws with different handle shapes (good for older hands) are logical hardware store candidates. A good machinist is a most valuable person to know.

I am still a beginner with 3D printing, however, I can see several uses for it with Tormek parts. Working with both Tormek sizes, the T4/2 (200mm) and the T7/8 (250mm), I have frequent use for spacer washers of several thicknesses. I believe one simple drawing of a ring could serve as a basis for all the spacers I would need. I think all I would need to do is change the outer diameter and thickness dimensions. The inner diameter, a slip fit for the 12 mm shaft, would remain constant.

When I adapted the Norton 3X 46 and 80 grit wheels for the Tormek, I needed to make my own 5/8" to 12mm reducing bushing. I reamed out a 31/64" drill hole slightly. It worked, however, I would not want to use it as part of a journeyman test. Instead of four stacking bushings, One could make a 3D print of a one piece reducing from a snug one inch to a 12mm slip fit and build in the spacer. The part would be easy to design and make. It would also be waterproof.

As with all things Tormek, I appreciate having options.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 20, 2018, 12:04:47 AM
I am still a beginner with 3D printing, however, I can see several uses for it with Tormek parts. Working with both Tormek sizes, the T4/2 (200mm) and the T7/8 (250mm), I have frequent use for spacer washers of several thicknesses. I believe one simple drawing of a ring could serve as a basis for all the spacers I would need. I think all I would need to do is change the outer diameter and thickness dimensions. The inner diameter, a slip fit for the 12 mm shaft, would remain constant.
Ken

Spacer washers?  Print a self-centering knife jig!   ;) 

Just outta curiosity... what printer?  And, don't they come with some type of CAD program?
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform.
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

The printer is a PowerSpec by Wanhao Duplicator 13 Plus. Although I have no background to commently, it seems like a good printer to me. I am still in the learning curve. When the operator gets things right, I am pleased  with it. The manual talks about a Cura program. Cura, or something similar, is now on my too long list of new skills to learn.

A self centering knife jig?  Yes! Great idea, long overdue. It will require more skill than I have (at least, at present).

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 20, 2018, 02:49:07 AM
CB,

The printer is a PowerSpec by Wanhao Duplicator 13 Plus. Although I have no background to commently, it seems like a good printer to me. I am still in the learning curve. When the operator gets things right, I am pleased  with it. The manual talks about a Cura program. Cura, or something similar, is now on my too long list of new skills to learn.

A self centering knife jig?  Yes! Great idea, long overdue. It will require more skill than I have (at least, at present).

Ken

Wow.  I looked some of that up.  I think you have your work cut out for you...  :o

From what I read, the Cura program is more of a "printer driver"... it still requires a model file of some type.

Good luck!  Looks interesting.

Grizz

I've seen some people use 3D printers to make parts for their DJi drones. must be something good to know or learn.

Ken S

Yes, there is more to this 3D printing than I had realized. The problem is worsened by a general lack of good instructions.

I am certainly not someone who believes that everything should be in English. However, I find the trend of using diagrams instead of printed or spoken words often frustrating. In an effort to simplify things by eliminating language, I think we make things more difficult in all languages.

I do believe that as I learn more about 3D printing, I will find it increasingly useful.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 20, 2018, 09:04:01 AM
Yes, there is more to this 3D printing than I had realized. The problem is worsened by a general lack of good instructions.

I am certainly not someone who believes that everything should be in English. However, I find the trend of using diagrams instead of printed or spoken words often frustrating. In an effort to simplify things by eliminating language, I think we make things more difficult in all languages.

I do believe that as I learn more about 3D printing, I will find it increasingly useful.

Ken

Have you checked YouTube? There's a few setup videos...

Ken S

Yes, I have. I use you tube often. and have found numerous useful sites. Unfortunately, I have also found many sites with incorrect information. (One recent T4 long term review mentioned the larger Tormeks using 250 or 300mm grinding wheels. I wonder if Sweden knows this?) I happened to watch that site right after watching (twice) Wootz' Tormek sharpening you tube. I was underwhelmed.

" Caveat watcher."

Ken

Grizz

Quote from: Ken S on June 20, 2018, 07:01:51 PM
Yes, I have. I use you tube often. and have found numerous useful sites. Unfortunately, I have also found many sites with incorrect information. (One recent T4 long term review mentioned the larger Tormeks using 250 or 300mm grinding wheels. I wonder if Sweden knows this?) I happened to watch that site right after watching (twice) Wootz' Tormek sharpening you tube. I was underwhelmed.

" Caveat watcher."

Ken
I hope that guy doesn't give up his day job.  just when I thought he couldn't do any worse, he proved me wrong doing the honing demo. ::)
here's the post if anyone is interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs7UPQXf9_I

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on June 20, 2018, 07:01:51 PM

" Caveat watcher."

Ken

I'm guessing you haven't run across the video where the Tormek user starts splashing water onto the leather wheel...  ::)

Grizz

I missed that one CB, lol

Ken S

Grizz,

You found the you tube I referenced. My problem is not so much with that guy. I am sure he means well; he just knows very little about the Tormek. The youtube is full of misinformation, which, unfortunately, could mislead prospective buyers or new users.

My problem is that the people who really are Tormek experts and should be making the videos have chosen to keep the videos that they are doing hidden from everyone except registered owners. This effectively keeps out anyone who is seriously looking to purchase a Tormek. The reluctant experts are Tormek themselves.

I have found three notable exceptions to this wall of silence:

Jeff Farris did several very good videos many years ago when he worked for Tormek. All of the veteran forum members have studied them. They provide a good introduction. Jeff sold Tormeks. His videos do not discuss problem situations, however, they are a very good start.

Steve Bottorff, as he was retiring from years of teaching sharpening, had a videographer make an excellent, extensive video, "Sharpening School". This is essential training for anyone considering starting a sharpening business. Steve's technique includes the Tormek, as well as several other sharpening machines.

Wootz has done some fine youtubes. Again, like Steve's, they feature the Tormek, but not exclusively.

Beyond these, the only other options seem to be contacting Tormek support or posting on this forum.

To see a good example of what Tormek could offer for good instruction videos, look at the DBS-22 drill bit jig on the website and watch the video done for Tormek by Alan Holtham. (no need to log on to watch this one) I consider it Tormek's best current video. It shows what Tormek could do with video instruction.

There is too much bad information about the Tormek spread by people who think they know and too little good information from those who really do know.

Ken

Grizz

perhaps we could convince TORMEK sellers to at least suggest to all new prospective buyers to visit the forum here and research the available films by Jeff, Steve, Wootz and others that have great video, of the potential the Tormek has. and to show the proper setup procedures and some techniques that have proven successful.

Fernando

Quote from: Grizz on June 22, 2018, 06:17:24 PM
perhaps we could convince TORMEK sellers to at least suggest to all new prospective buyers to visit the forum here and research the available films by Jeff, Steve, Wootz and others that have great video, of the potential the Tormek has. and to show the proper setup procedures and some techniques that have proven successful.
Great idea.

Fernando

Ken, exactly that has happened to me, when I searched for videos of tormek I saw the many people and not the company, that I could only see when I registered the machine I bought.

As for the parts made by 3D printers I will try to make my contribution.
Altar that is not my intention to negatively affect the products of Tormek,
I just think that knowledge is free and must be shared.
At some point look for 3D printing options to make accessories for my manual afliadores and I cross with some tools for tormek.

here are the pages I know, which have designs compatible with programs for 3D printing, CAD and have free download

1) https://grabcad.com/
example:
https://grabcad.com/library/tormek-t7-sharpening-system-1
https://grabcad.com/library/stone-holding-jig

2) https://pinshape.com/
example:
https://pinshape.com/items/27500-3d-printed-diy-4-facet-drill-bit-sharpener-razor-sharp-awsome-drill-bits
https://pinshape.com/items/14216-3d-printed-drill-bit-sharpener

3) https://www.youmagine.com
example:
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/sharpening-stone-sink-bridge
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/handle-for-lansky-knife-sharpening-system

If this information is not prudent, feel free to delete it, I do not want to offend.