News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a peg for Tormek, finally

Started by Ken S, June 19, 2018, 04:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I finally worked out a simple, inexpensive peg to hold grinding wheels.
the peg itself is a three inch 1/4 x 20 hex bolt. In metric this would a 75mm long M6 hex bolt. The points of the hex head need to be ground down ever so slightly for the bolt to slide through the grinding wheel's bore. I ofiginally used 5/16" bolts, however, while they are very sturdy, they have very little step to keep the wheel in place.

I used two hex nuts and seven fender washers. (large diameter washers). Three fender washers (or a nlyon spacer washer) slide onto the bolt followed by a nut run in the full length of the threads. Two more fender washers are slid onto the bolt. The bolt is then slid through the hole in an upright of a set of heavy metal shelves and severed with two more fender washers and a nut. This makes a solid and inexpensive peg which is quickly and easily assembled or disassembled.

Photos will eventually follow.

Ken

Grizz

sounds like they will work Ken. good job. the pics will be interesting to see ! :)

Fernando

Quote from: Grizz on June 19, 2018, 06:18:05 PM
sounds like they will work Ken. good job. the pics will be interesting to see ! :)
I think the same as Grizzly, it would be very interesting to see the photos. :)

Ken S

photos:

Finally photos. The first photo shows the 3" by 1/4" x20 hex bolt with just enough of the hex head points ground off for the bolt to slide through the 12 mm bore of the Tormek grinding wheels. The 1/4" bolt provides a good step (the hex head) to help secure the grinding wheel.

First three fender washers are fed onto the bolt. Then a hex nut and two more fender washers. The bolt is fed through the hole in the metal shelf upright. Two more fender washers are added and a final hex nut holds the hook to the shelf.

The second photo shows the hook holding an SG-250.

The parts are inexpensive in regular steel. I suggest making up one in regular steel to see if you like it. You can add more later.

Ken

Grizz

is the 1/4" bolt a grade 5 or grade 8 ?  just curious, the diamond wheels weigh approx. 10 lbs ?

Ken S

Good question, Grizz. My official answer would always be Grade 8. In the real world, this hardware all came from the bins at the local big box. Considering the weight of the grinding wheels, I do think Grade 8 would be a wise precaution. I doubled up on the fender washers for extra rigidity, although while gathering this hardware I discovered that there are also thick fender washers.

I suppose the bolts really should be stainless. My original ones were, and are still working fine. I will keep watch on the new hook. If the bolt should start to rust, I can easily replace it.

I welcome suggestions.

Ken 

Grizz

yepper, stainless steel bolts would be in order the first sign of corrosion.

SharpenADullWitt

Picture the head of the bolt and it will let you know.
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Printable-Tools/Fastener-Basics.pdf

I found this useful for people that haven't yet learned how to read a bolt.
Also, with a long enough bolt, inserted at a slight angle, one wouldn't need the bolt to have a head and it would be more like a tire stud used on some cars (VW for example) to help align and hang the tire, until the first lug is tightened down.  (useful tool for side of road/flat tire changes)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on June 24, 2018, 03:49:07 PM
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Printable-Tools/Fastener-Basics.pdf

That would be me... thanks!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Interesting bolt and screw info. I have printed it out for reference. Thanks for posting it.

Ken

Ken S

I looked at the top of my bolt. No marks, which makes it Big Box Finest low carbon steel. In the future, I might spring for better steel.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on June 24, 2018, 03:49:07 PM

Thanks for sharing, very useful for me that information

kenc295

Guys,

Grade 8 or even grade 5 hardware is a massive overkill! Grade 2 bolts have a tensile strength of over 70,000psi, the trivial weight of your grinding wheel will not pose a problem for basic low carbon steel hardware.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Kenc. That's good information about bolt grades. Is there any difference between grades in corrosion resistance?

Ken (S)

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: Ken S on July 04, 2018, 10:04:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, Kenc. That's good information about bolt grades. Is there any difference between grades in corrosion resistance?

Ken (S)

I don't know specifics, but I would say yes when it comes to grade 8 (the yellowish coating they have, as they tend to be used on machinery like cars) or stainless.  When I worked in a garage, it was grade 8 for frame work, and if a bolt was screwed up holding down something like the battery tray or an alternator bolt, lower grades were ok.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)