News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a peg for Tormek, finally

Started by Ken S, June 19, 2018, 04:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Interesting post, SADW.

When I rehabbed my seventy five year old drill press, I replaced some of the hardware with grade eight. My reason for doing this was more sentimental than logical. Former owners were my father and a dear family friend. I wanted to do my best work.

From a practical standpoint, I don't see where the cost difference is a major consideration. If you are thrifty, I suspect the grade two is more than adequate. If you are particular, then use stainless or grade eight.

Ken

kenc295

Quote from: Ken S on July 04, 2018, 10:04:56 PM
Welcome to the forum, Kenc. That's good information about bolt grades. Is there any difference between grades in corrosion resistance?

Ken (S)

Thanks for the welcome Ken, I hope to learn a lot about the Tormak here. I have a T7 with a number of the jigs and an SJ250 waterstone.

Regarding corrosion, I don't know off hand, that's a good question. If I were to guess, I would say yes, that grade 8 - which is an alloy steel - would be superior, but I'm not sure what alloying elements are included in grade 8. I know nickel and chromium improve corrosion resistance.

A quick search led me to this which looks pretty complete:
https://www.fastenal.com/content/documents/FastenalTechnicalReferenceGuide.pdf

Hmm, need to sit down and read this, I bet the info is in here somewhere!