News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

First results with SJ-250: moderate burr

Started by Cyrano, July 06, 2018, 03:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Tormek recommends not using the leather honing wheel after using the SJ-250. In my initial results, I'm seeing a moderate burr, and a BESS score higher than I can get with proper use of the leather honing wheel.

Are there special techniques that should be used with the SJ-250 to get an edge which requires no honing?

This Cold Steel folding knife has a blade made of CTS XHP, and was sharpened at 12 dps on the SG-250/220, SG-250/1000, and SJ-250:

wootz

We read the Tormek recommendation as "Do not use Tormek honing paste after the SJ because it is of a coarser grit than the SJ".

Ken S

cbwx34

Quote from: Cyrano on July 06, 2018, 03:26:38 AM
Tormek recommends not using the leather honing wheel after using the SJ-250. In my initial results, I'm seeing a moderate burr, and a BESS score higher than I can get with proper use of the leather honing wheel.

Are there special techniques that should be used with the SJ-250 to get an edge which requires no honing?

This Cold Steel folding knife has a blade made of CTS XHP, and was sharpened at 12 dps on the SG-250/220, SG-250/1000, and SJ-250:

Try a light / alternating pass or two at a higher angle... enough to remove the burr (without creating a significant, if any, micro-bevel).

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Grizz

are you using the SJ-250 towards the blade or away from the blade? turning towards the blade will reduce the amount of burr.

Grizz

if small amount of burr is still present, break open a paper beer box and gently hone on a strip of the inside of the box a few times.

cbwx34

Quote from: Grizz on July 06, 2018, 09:11:16 PM
are you using the SJ-250 towards the blade or away from the blade? turning towards the blade will reduce the amount of burr.

Good point. 👍
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

I use the SJ wheel from the vertical position (into the the edge) followed by stropping on the leather pad of a SharpPad, routinely achieving BESS scores between 90-130.  I'm sure other stropping methods would achieve similar results.  No use of the leather honing wheel. 

About a month ago, I bought a paper wheel and a 3500 rpm buffer/wire wheel only to learn the paper wheel maybe should be used at 1750 rpm.  I have a 1750 rpm grinder that I haven't set up yet, so maybe could use that for the paper wheel.  It is July, however, and I anxiously await delivery of some diamond wheels, so that distraction likely will put off working out the paper wheel. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

"paper wheels" are actually a pair of wheels. The first is loaded with carborundum particles in a wax base. The wax requires the 3500 RPM to melt. The second wheel, loaded with honing compound, does not require the higher speed.

I have never actually owned paper wheels. (They are on my to do list, however, I have never gotten to that point on my list.)

I feel we are in a state of flux. The new diamond wheels are certainly game changers, however, I believe they are just the start. We live in an exciting era for Tormek!

Ken

Grizz

when I ordered the paper wheel to hone after the SJ stone, I got just the slotted paper wheel 8"x1".
this compliments the SJ just fine and no burr that I've ever seen.
The diamond wheels delivery date  just got pushed back until August now, so just a little longer wait for them.

RickKrung

Quote from: Grizz on July 07, 2018, 08:55:35 PM
when I ordered the paper wheel to hone after the SJ stone, I got just the slotted paper wheel 8"x1".
this compliments the SJ just fine and no burr that I've ever seen.

I look forward to finding out how this works, once I get my paper wheel set up.

Quote from: Grizz on July 07, 2018, 08:55:35 PM
The diamond wheels delivery date  just got pushed back until August now, so just a little longer wait for them.

Arrrrgh!  Oh well, clears the mental decks so I can focus on other stuff. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.