News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bought a Planer

Started by RickKrung, June 14, 2018, 07:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

I bought a planer this week (DeWalt 735), to make wood whatever thickness I want for making jigsaw puzzles for my granddaughter, using the scroll saw (DeWalt 788) I bought two weeks ago.  Guess I'll be buying a planer blade sharpening jig.  There isn't much that can be done with dull scroll saw blades, however. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

brettgrant99

Ken S

Rick,

Before you purchase the planer jig, make sure that the blades can be resharpened.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on June 14, 2018, 08:59:46 PM
Rick,

Before you purchase the planer jig, make sure that the blades can be resharpened.

Ken

Ken, 

Good heads up. 

I did a search and found a discussion that shed some good light.  They are meant to be disposable, being two-edged (rotate-able) and a small enough exposed edge as to not be sharpenable very heavily and then probably only once.  HSS sets are around $50.  A carbide set is around $150.  No info on relative longevity of either, other than the DW735 is meant as a hobbyist planer, not production.  A helix blade upgrade is available, but at about 2/3 the original machine cost, but even that has some cutting/finish issues. 

I don't even have it out of my car yet, so cannot yet open it up to see how much blade is exposed to get a sense of how much could be removed in sharpening.  My sense is that most are not used to the small amount that can be removed using a Tormek to get a sharp edge, so there may be more life in them than most are accustomed to. 

It comes with a second set of blades, so four sides to dull before needing to find out.  For what I intend to use it, that could be a while. 

I'll check the blade protrusion before ordering the jig.

Thanks,

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RickKrung

Quote from: brettgrant99 on June 14, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
Tiny File ?  ::)

Very TINY, and under a microscope.  They are cheap, even for the top-end blades ($4/doz.), so not much incentive.  I figure I can stack a thin workpiece on top of a 3/4" or 1" spacer and get another life out a blade (but haven't tried it yet). 

Rick

Grizz

the planer I have has a 1/2" blade and it wont fit in the Tormek planer jig. it would be too dangerous to try to free hand a planer blade. new set only $25 bucks.

Ken S

Rick,

At the risk of being very generous with your money, I think the possibility of $25 in the future does not sound bad.

Have you considered using Baltic birch plywood for your puzzles? The top grade shouldn't have any voids. It is available in several thicknesses. It has many plies and a nice surface. I really like it, although I have not made any puzzles.

Keep us posted.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Grizz on June 14, 2018, 10:09:30 PM
the planer I have has a 1/2" blade and it wont fit in the Tormek planer jig. it would be too dangerous to try to free hand a planer blade. new set only $25 bucks.

My blades are 7/8" wide.  I'll check out the size capacity (both width and thickness) of the jig before buying it.  I would never consider free-handing them.  Set for mine is only $50. 

Quote from: Ken S on June 14, 2018, 11:10:06 PM
Rick,

At the risk of being very generous with your money, I think the possibility of $25 in the future does not sound bad.

Have you considered using Baltic birch plywood for your puzzles? The top grade shouldn't have any voids. It is available in several thicknesses. It has many plies and a nice surface. I really like it, although I have not made any puzzles.

Keep us posted.

Ken

If I've spent as much for the planer, as I have, just to make toys for my granddaughter, $50 for a new set is easy.  Still, why do dogs lick their ....

Not only have I considered it, I've used it already and at the same time as having bought the planer, from the same store, bought a couple half sheets of 1/8" and 1/4".  I just want to be able to make them out of solid wood.  And it isn't just sheet puzzles.  I also want to be able to plane thicker stock.   (C'mon, puzzles for the granddaughter is just the rationalization... ;)

Rick

Ken S

Rick,

Grandfather to grandfather, Making puzzles for your granddaughter is one of those precious parts of life which should be exempt from being completely "logical".

I think your rabbit puzzle is darling. Carry on, Grandpa!

Ken

Grizz

the 7/8 wide will fit the jig well. the length should not be a problem at all. you will probably have to remove the leather wheel tho, and that's no problem. Nice work for GrandDaughter.

RickKrung

Quote from: Grizz on June 15, 2018, 04:45:43 PM
the 7/8 wide will fit the jig well. the length should not be a problem at all. you will probably have to remove the leather wheel tho, and that's no problem. Nice work for GrandDaughter.

Thanks, Grizz.  I have not made the time to check into that yet.  I opened the planer up and looked at how much blade is exposed beyond its backing plate to see how much blade stock might be taken off.  I believe there is plenty, especially given the geometry of the blade and the amount exposed.

First photo is of one of the spare blades.  There are two bevels.  Darkest area is the back of the blade.  Middle blueish area is the primary bevel.  Thin shiny strip is the secondary, cutting bevel.  Total width is about 0.090" and the secondary bevel is about 0.030" wide.  In sharpening, only a small amount would need to come off the secondary bevel.  The primary bevel would not need to be touched. 

Second photo is of the blade installed, showing how much the blade sticks out from the backing support plate.  Shiny area is both the primary and secondary bevels.  The think, faint, sky blue ribbon along the top of the shiny area is the secondary bevel.  Without having to touch the primary bevel and taking very little off the secondary bevel, I think the blade can easily take a couple of sharpenings, as long as there are no major nicks, etc. 

What is not known is how much the cutting edges are exposed on the cutting side and how removing any material affects the depth of cut.  I have a sense there is not adjustment for the cutter head on to which the blades mount, so a potential limiting factor will be how much can be removed from the blades and have them still cut effectively.  I suspect not much. 

This discussion may be about exhausted, but I think it should be continued in the Planer Blade Sharpening Forum, so please take it up there if there is anything more to discuss. 

Rick