News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How Do You Store Your Stones (Rode Hard & Put Away Wet)

Started by RickKrung, June 07, 2018, 05:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

Storing the wet, used grindstones has been a bit of problem for me, until recently.  Previously, I laid them on a grooved, plastic work table and turned them occasionally as they dried out.  It took such a long time for them to dry enough to put them back in their boxes, such that, that began to not happen. 

A couple of months ago I needed to travel with them, so I stacked them, with towels between, in one of those plastic milk boxes.  I also brought along a long 12mm rod and placed them on the rod and hung them in the milk box when not in use.  I've been doing that ever since.  Takes up a little floor space, but could be put up somewhere.  However, I like keeping them as close to the floor as possible, should they ever get dropped or bumped and toppled over. 

I haven't thought about it much, but I'll need to figure out how to store the diamond wheels once they get here.  The milk box may be a good option for them, even though they don't need to hang and dry quite like the grindstones. 

What are some of the ways you guys store grindstones?

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,

You have started a most useful topic.  Large grinding wheels pose several difficulties. They are large. They are heavy. They are delicate and easily damaged if dropped. Porous grinding wheels remain damp for a long time, and they can crack in freezing temperatures.

I can start by describing a way NOT to store them. Look at the boxes of the Norton 3X boxes I sent you. I did not realize how long porous grinding wheels retained moisture. Allowing even several days for grinding wheels to dry may not be enough (before returning them to their cardboard boxes).

The Tormek Work Station uses clip on short rods to hold and store two grinding wheels. I have found that this works well, as far as it goes. I really need more than two hooks, and so will other users who use multiple grinding wheels.

I made up some hangers using bolts, washers, nuts and nylon spacers. I placed these on the vertical corner pieces of heavy duty metal shelves. Standard metal shelves are too flimsy for these to work. They allow the grinding wheels to dry. They work adequately, but not well.

Grinding wheel storage is a major problem for me. I presently have fourteen grinding wheels for my Tormeks. (4 for the T4; 10 for the T7/8) I purchased several for forum related testing. Presently my inactive wheels are stored in their original boxes on a heavy duty shelf. I would thin down the collection if I did not use them for reference with forum posts.

I was reminded of how heavy Tormek grinding wheels are when the package with my three diamond wheels arrived. The package weighed fourteen kilos (30 pounds). This makes me really appreciate the compact and light weight T4. It also makes me appreciate the simplicity of the original Tormek design with just the SG grinding wheel. For the average home workshop sharpener, I would think seriously before adding any more grinding wheels to the versatile SG which has served users well for several decades. (I predict the new coarse diamond wheel will be very popular with turners.)

This post is already too long. I will close for now.

Ken

cbwx34

I bought a  6' plastic shelf unit (like you get for garage storage), but when I put it together I cut the spacing tubes between the shelves in half... and put it on the workbench... decent enough to hold the stones and other stuff.  (The shelves have holes so a stone can dry if needed).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Clever idea, CB.

I like the idea of plastic shelves. Impervious to water; no need to finish; and inexpensive.

I do not believe drying time will be so much of an issue once we start using diamond stones. For more absorbent grinding wheels, I might put down a couple layers of paper towels and three 1/4" thick nylon spacer washers.

Ken

Grizz

I have an extra set of hooks for the workstation, shouldn't be a real problem for me.

Ken S

Thanks, Grizz.

I sent an email to Affinity Tool, the US importer, to get more info.

Ken

Grizz

ok, Great. maybe we'll here from them soon. did you have a tracking # or they just showed up ?

Fernando

for those of us who have only one abrasive wheel, "the one that comes from the factory" I do not think there is a problem in letting it dry and keeping it on the machine permanently or is it?

Grizz

Quote from: Fernando on June 13, 2018, 01:05:02 AM
for those of us who have only one abrasive wheel, "the one that comes from the factory" I do not think there is a problem in letting it dry and keeping it on the machine permanently or is it?
shouldn't be a problem at all leaving it on the machine. just make sure you remove the water trough and clean it and maybe re-install it dry. should be good to go till the next sharpening session !  :)

Ken S

I agree with Grizz. There is no need to store the SG off the Tormek, especially if that is the only grinding wheel.

For the record, the extra grinding wheels I have purchased have been related to forum projects. For all of my personal work, the basic SG is more than adequate. I could be happy as a one wheel operation. In the spirit of full disclosure, I should state that as I get into working with the diamond wheels my statement may change. However, that will not diminish the versatility of the SG.

Ken

Ken S

Grizz,

Wolfgang Derke of Advanced Machinery (advmachinery.com) sent me an email that he has just posted the hooks on the website.  Here is the link:

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/stone-hook-for-tormek-ts-740-sharpening-station-and-cabinet

By rough measurements, each of the two sides will hold either two 250mm wheels or a combination of 250mm and 200 mm grinding wheels. The work station comes equipped with two hooks. For someone using just the three original Tormek grindstones, one more hook would convenient as a place to hang the wheel being removed. In my case, I will probably use four hooks: one each for the three diamond wheels and one for the SG-250.

As always, I try to consolidate parts orders from Advanced. Their shipping costs are fair, however, I prefer to combine them whenever it is practical. I am usually planning at least one tinkering project requiring spare parts.

Ken

Grizz

Ken, lol.i know what you mean. i'll have 3 diamond wheels, SJ 250, and a SG 250, that will take up all my hooks and leave one on the machine.

Ken S

Grizz,

The simple (and expensive) is just to purchase a second work station.  :-\   While that would be very nice, it might require you to go back on active duty and me to go back to work, not a pleasant thought.

I need to figure out a way to post some photos of the hooks I made from bolts to attach to heavy metal shelves.

Ken

wootz

We store wheels on 12 mm s/s rods at approx 4 degrees upwards in a drilled wooden bar 70 x 70 mm

Twisted Trees

Not a problem for me, only have the one so I drop and clean the tray and leave it on the T7.

If I needed to store them I would prefer they hung on the wall and would turn a wooden tube 4mm narrower than the centre (yes I am English!) with a shoulder to hold them 2 or 3mm off the wall then use a large screw  with a washer slightly oversize so that there is a hook to stop it getting knocked off.

I find flat things in cupboards tend to get stuff piled up on top which is a bad thing with fragile items like saw blades and grind wheels, that is one of the reasons when I refit my workshop I will be making a lot of drawers instead of cupboards.