News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My new FVB for cleavers and controlled-angle honing - Android available, iPhone

Started by wootz, June 02, 2018, 12:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I've read Wootz book front to back at least 10 times and am still fine tuning my technique. I recently purchased a low speed grinder with paper wheels and a couple of Wootz PWS from his website.i spent 6 hours in the shop yesterday experimenting and testing edges.The floor looks like a barber shop!
Obviously I need to perfect my technique as I haven't managed to lower the best Bess that I've gotten on the Tormek SG and leather wheel of 65. Guess it's practice practice practice....

wootz

Al, I remember two phases in my learning curve of honing on paper wheels the blades sharpened on Tormek.
First, getting edges that slice hanging hair, and split it. Do not bother about BESS sharpness tester at this step.
With the right setup of the paper wheel supports, you should be there already.
It is important to repeatedly get hair-splitting edge before you start using the BESS sharpness tester, before you move to the next step of getting the lasting ultra-sharp edge.

wootz

Let me explain. The BESS sharpness tester challenges the strength of the apex.

In mastering honing, the immediate goal is to learn putting an ultra sharp edge, that slices hanging hair but may be scoring bad because of  mushrooming against the sharpness tester test line. This should not be discouraging.

Next goal is to learn how to hone off that weak wire edge to the clean apex that both splits hair and scores at or under 60 BESS (quality knife steel).

Al

Humm you got me thinking with your comment "with the right set up of the paper wheel supports you should be there already " re checked the constants on your paper wheel angle setter app and had put the left wheel vertical 74.8 on the right wheel and the right vertical 73.3 on the left. Small discrepancy I know but nonetheless may make a difference

wootz

One more thing.
Initially do all honing at the exact edge angle.
This helps verify that your paper wheel setup is correct - when it is correct, you should be getting hair-splitting edge.
This edge will have strong apex on "negative burr" knife steels, but wire edge on mainstream.

Scotty

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Scotty

Saw it there, but not available.
Was hoping for another source.
Given the importance of angle control, thought Tormek might jump on it.
I suppose I could make one, but my experience with that sort of endeavor usually means twice as long and twice as much.
But, if there is no alternative............
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in this world. Marines don't have that problem."
President Ronald Regan

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on February 28, 2020, 05:53:04 AM
I suppose I could make one, but my experience with that sort of endeavor usually means twice as long and twice as much.

KnifeGrinders is the only one who makes them for sale that I know of.

If you make your own, there are a few examples HERE, of what others have done.

The TormekCalc2 Spreadsheet, has some measurements that might be helpful also.  (It runs in Excel, but you can open it in other Spreadsheet programs).

Ken S

Quote from: Scotty on February 28, 2020, 05:53:04 AM

Scotty,
When I purchased my FVB from Knife Grinders, Vadim (Wootz) informed me that there would be a delay in delivery. At the time, there were two problems: His machinist could only make four FVB units per week, and KG had already purchased every available Tormek XB unit in Australia. It sounds like KG's machinist has stepped up production, however, demand still outstrips supply. Since I ordered mine, Australia has experienced devastating fires. So, I advise patience. The KG FVB is well designed and well machined. Unless you have good machinist skills or know someone who has these skills, you will probably either pay more or get an inferior product. Also, if you wait for KG, you will get an FVB which is "plug and play" with the KG applet.
Be patient.....
Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 28, 2020, 04:09:19 PM

Scotty,
When I purchased my FVB from Knife Grinders, Vadim (Wootz) informed me that there would be a delay in delivery. At the time, there were two problems: His machinist could only make four FVB units per week, and KG had already purchased every available Tormek XB unit in Australia. It sounds like KG's machinist has stepped up production, however, demand still outstrips supply. Since I ordered mine, Australia has experienced devastating fires. So, I advise patience. The KG FVB is well designed and well machined. Unless you have good machinist skills or know someone who has these skills, you will probably either pay more or get an inferior product. Also, if you wait for KG, you will get an FVB which is "plug and play" with the KG applet.
Be patient.....
Ken

They're pretty easy to make actually... I did mine with a crappy Harbor Freight drill press (you can read that in the other thread, along with the parts needed)... no "machinist skills" required, and it works fine. 

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=2635.msg21461#msg21461

If you want an even simpler method... get a Horizontal Base, Tool Rest, and a spare USB, and you can make one pretty simple...

... that works well! There are a variety of calculators you can use with it, like the TormekCalc2 previously mentioned.

Many options!!

8)

canuck

Quote from: wootz on April 03, 2019, 04:48:36 AM
Android smartphone/tablet applet for our FVB is now available in the Google Play Store.
It is free.

Is the app still free? I built my own FVB last night and installed the app, but it's asking for a PIN.

Roger M.

Something that's best addressed by emailing Wootz and asking that same question of the guy who actually has the correct answer.

cbwx34

Quote from: canuck on April 05, 2020, 06:11:43 AM
Quote from: wootz on April 03, 2019, 04:48:36 AM
Android smartphone/tablet applet for our FVB is now available in the Google Play Store.
It is free.

Is the app still free? I built my own FVB last night and installed the app, but it's asking for a PIN.

The software from KnifeGrinders is free... with purchase of their FVB.   ::)

Also, the FVB you built has to be the same specs/dimensions as the KnifeGrinder FVB... or the software won't be accurate.

There are alternatives....

The TormekCalc2 spreadsheet has the ability to enter your FVB deminsions... if you want a similar setup as the KG software (measuring to the machine).

Or any of the calculators found HERE that measure directly to the wheel, will work.