News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My new FVB for cleavers and controlled-angle honing - Android available, iPhone

Started by wootz, June 02, 2018, 12:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

Frontal Vertical Base for controlled-angle honing and edge-trailing knife, cleavers and wide blades sharpening.
Compatible with all Tormek models T-4, T-7, T-8, SuperGrind-2000 and "computerized".

Rods are 20 cm long, and one rod is threaded for fine adjustment.

Extended position for sharpening cleavers and wide blades

Angle-controlled honing on the Tormek leather wheel eliminates risk of rounding the cutting edge

Use for honing on a felt wheel with diamond spray

Software to set grinding/honing angle

The desired edge angle is set by vertical distance from the top of the FVB to the top of the Universal Support bar.

YouTube videos:
Knife honing >>
Cleaver sharpening >>
there are more YouTube videos on our channel, and by SHARPCO in Korea, and sharpeners in Germany, Sweden and Italy.

Full details on our website: http://knifegrinders.com.au/11Shop_VB.htm

Ken S

Well done, Wootz.

Do you have any suggestions for using diamond paste with felt wheels? I am getting ready to fire up the felt wheel I mentioned. I have a container of 1m diamond spray.

Keep up the good work!

Ken

cbwx34

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

SWEET!  Thank you, Wootz.  This is a much needed addition to the amazing utility and versatility of the Tormek and the advancements you have provided to us all.  The software is sort of a golden spike for the FVB. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

WolfY

Nice concept. I have drawn a block for same purpose but with very long (21cm| 8.5") legs, so I can have the block on the vertical side. Using a USB locally made with 46cm|18" long jig support (that I use for long time now).
The Idea was that I could stay on same spot when sharpening just by moving the hole support on the horizontal level and then adjusting the height for angel changes I need.
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

WolfY

Attached the PDF instead of the PNG by mistake:)

P.S. did anyone noticed that the USB support taken from the BGM-100 set is little larger btw the legs by about 2mm?
Yeh, it caused me some problems as I used it as welding jig for the large USB I made.

RichColvin

Quote from: wootz on June 02, 2018, 12:24:17 PM
... one rod is threaded for fine adjustment.

I converted an old USB to have one arm be threaded.  I punched numbers onto the nut, & I like it.  Similar in functionality to the Tormek nut. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Quote from: WolfY on June 03, 2018, 07:20:00 AM
Attached the PDF instead of the PNG by mistake:)

P.S. did anyone noticed that the USB support taken from the BGM-100 set is little larger btw the legs by about 2mm?
Yeh, it caused me some problems as I used it as welding jig for the large USB I made.

WolfY,
That surprises me. I just checked a spare XB-100 Horizontal Base I have. I believe that is the same part used in the BGM-100. I slid the XB-100 onto the two legs of a usb and then slid both onto the sleeves of my T7. Perfect fit. To the best of my knowledge, the usb (universal support bar) has remained uniform since the beginning. It is odd that your BGM-100 is a misfit.

Have you checked with support about this?

Ken

cbwx34

I also got a BGM-100 when I made the "horizontal to vertical" setup... and there's no difference in the measurement... and all the parts are interchangeable.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

WolfY

It was my "mistake".
As the guy that welded the rods, made them to bent a little and that changed the distance. Maybe he didn't wait till they cooled down before taking of the jig.
I made a new one and now it's perfect fit.

Ken S

WolfY,

I am learning 3D printing with my grandson. I can sympathize with your jig making difficulties. We are so accostumed to quick success. We forget how often success is gained after several failures. Have patience. (I say that to myself, also. :)   

Ken

wootz

Android smartphone/tablet applet for our FVB is now available in the Google Play Store.
It is free.

To install the FVB Android applet, on your smartphone or tablet search the Google Play Store for FVB Angle Setter, and look for the Knife Grinders icon

If you cannot see our applet in the Google Play Store, which means some minor compatibility issue, please email Knife Grinders, and install from the link we give.

FYI we are developing an iOS applet for our Frontal Vertical Base, should become available next week for your iPhone & iPad; I will announce when ready.
Free as well.
:)

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on April 03, 2019, 04:48:36 AM
Android smartphone/tablet applet for our FVB is now available in the Google Play Store.
It is free.

To install the FVB Android applet, on your smartphone or tablet search the Google Play Store for FVB Angle Setter, and look for the Knife Grinders icon

If you cannot see our applet in the Google Play Store, which means some minor compatibility issue, please email Knife Grinders, and install from the link we give.

FYI we are developing an iOS applet for our Frontal Vertical Base, should become available next week for your iPhone & iPad; I will announce when ready.
Free as well.
:)

Great!

bisonbladesharpening

Great stuff and many kudos to the pioneers of the next generation
of possibilities for Tormek machinery.  Most of it seems to be by end users
and not Tormek,  but that may be a good way for innovation.
Ken's interest in 3D printing may also be a great start for prototypes.
Lets all send him our ideas and he can work them up for us. 
Thanks in advance for taking on this project Ken.
Best Wishes
Tim

Ken S

Tim,

My progress with the 3D printer is moving very slowly. My grandson's interest moved away from 3D printing dried up after he had printed the Rubik's cube variations he wanted. We had some problems with the printer, which are now corrected. The constraint now is time.

I have two projects in mind:
1) A small square for checking the squareness of ground chisel edges. Being plastic, it would not rust. It could easily be sized for an ideal fit with the Tormek.
2) Reducing bushings to adapt non Tormek grinding wheels, felt wheels and paper wheels to the 12mm Tormek shaft. D-Way makes very nice steel bushings which fit very well with both the T4 and T8. 3D printed plastic would not rust. My thought is to make a thinner prototype washer first to get the ID (bore) and the OD right. Once these dimensions are tuned, a full thickness spacer/reducing bushing can be printed. If possible, I would like to be able to knurl the outside diameter to hold felt and paper wheels more securely.

I think many more useful Tormek accessories can be made with the 3D printer. I have two well made variations on the kenjig, a gift from a talented Tormeker in the Czech Republic. I encourage more 3D literate members to get involved. I am a very beginner with this.

Ken