News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Zero Tolerance 350 Sharpening Techniques

Started by Stephen M, April 06, 2020, 05:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen M

Good Morning All!

I hope everyone is healthy and safe during this time of crisis.

One of my co-workers owns a Zero Tolerance 350.  It has an odd blade shape, I'm not educated enough to know what exactly you would call it so I included a picture.  I am seeking techniques, tips, and tricks to retain the blade shape.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you all so much!

-Stephen M.

Roger M.

A pin pivot collar would help, although it's been my experience that some complex blade shapes on relatively short knives are best sharpened by hand with one of the many guided rigs available.

Having said that, it's quite possible to do a knife like this on a Tormek without a pin pivot collar, although you must go slow, and it helps if you've practiced on an unimportant knife of your own.

cbwx34

Quote from: Stephen M on April 06, 2020, 05:30:37 PM
Good Morning All!

I hope everyone is healthy and safe during this time of crisis.

One of my co-workers owns a Zero Tolerance 350.  It has an odd blade shape, I'm not educated enough to know what exactly you would call it so I included a picture.  I am seeking techniques, tips, and tricks to retain the blade shape.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you all so much!

-Stephen M.

At first glance, the shape seems complicated, but with a bit of practice, you can do them on the Tormek.

Watch these videos for some tips...

Sharpening Concave Knives on the Tormek.
Sharpening Convex Knives on the Tormek .

The biggest takeaway(s)... round the edges of the wheel so it doesn't dig in, make light passes, and realize you have to tip the handle down to get into the recurve, then back up to cover the front.  You can practice with the machine off... and get a feel for the movement (and make sure you have clearance on both sides).

Make sure you mark the entire bevel with a Sharpie, so you can be sure that you removed metal along the entire length.  Make a pass, check, make a pass, check, etc.  Since the blade is short, if you lift the handle to reach the tip, it might end up a higher angle than the rest of the blade... so notice where Sharpie is being removed.  (You can rotate the blade to change the angle if you want).

Like Roger M said... may not want to practice on your friend's knife... unless he knows the risk. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Stephen M

van

Stephen M,

Never lose sight of the wave of water that forms on the edge of the blade
Kindly yours

John_B

Quote from: van on April 06, 2020, 09:04:20 PM
Stephen M,

Although this is easier to on straighter edged knives this is a great tip for all knives. I heard this somewhere early in my sharpening on the Tormek and it has served me well.
I think in the most recent Tormek video they mention it in passing but thanks Van for mentioning it again.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

cbwx34

Quote from: van on April 06, 2020, 09:04:20 PM

Good point!  Definitely helps with this type of work.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)