News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Volume sharpening attachment for Tormek

Started by wootz, May 30, 2018, 01:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wootz

Glad to see you back, Wolfy

How is your self-centering knife jig project? I guess you already use a working prototype for yourself.

Grizz

Quote from: RickKrung on May 30, 2018, 08:04:54 PM
Its a great idea for anyone doing volume sharpening that needs speed as well as accuracy and repeatability. 

It does bring to mind a question about the new Tormek diamond wheels.  Do they have abrasive on both sides of the wheel?  I've not looked at anything from Tormek about the new wheels and have not heard anyone mention anything about abrasive being on the inside of the wheel. 

Without it, it seems to me the two-sided angle guides will not work.  Unless one uses only the outside block and pulls the knive through from the front and back, which I wonder how well that could work, requiring clearance from the wheel for the handle and hand, let alone potential differences in grind characteristics given the different directions. 

Rick
Tormek  Diamond  Wheels

Tormek has developed three diamond wheels designed for use with the Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening
System. The Tormek Diamond Wheels offer an exceptional durability and the ability to sharpen on the
periphery as well as the sides. When sharpening on the side of the Diamond Wheels, we recommend
using the Tormek Multi Base MB-100 with the appropriate jig developed for your specific tool.

this to me indicates they coated both sides of the wheel !

WolfY

Quote from: Ken S on May 31, 2018, 01:29:57 AM

I really like your bench idea. Is it working well for you?
Bench is good. Although when I'm out with the Tormek I rely on the Keter Box combination as Tormek stand.
By the way I have modified it and cut the lower boc top so I can take of the wheel and place it there exposed to air and not closed in the box developing algae/ bacteria/ or what it is, on the leather wheel Also letting me easy to take of when need to lift into the car (some 2+kg less).
Besides, I also have a polishing machine in the box too for blade shaping on behalf of the stone space.
On the last order from Tormek I've ordered some CBN wheels and T-2's. Will be interesting to see an test them.
I wonder if it would be possible to adopt the T-2 knife jig to the T-8? i would put it on the machine with an adjustable slider to compensate for the stone wear.

P.s did you get my mail? Sent few months ago?
Giving an advice is easy.
Accepting an advice is good.
Knowing which advice is worth adopting and which not, is a virtue.

WolfY

Quote from: wootz on May 31, 2018, 05:53:07 AM

How is your self-centering knife jig project? I guess you already use a working prototype for yourself.

Thanks Wootz. The self-centering knife jig project was Ok till the guy that helped me started to change things without advising me and the final jig was OK but not as I wanted. Though it led for the 2nd gen of development and stopped at the drawing board as I didn't have time for it and the guy is "not so interested" anymore.
I think the 2nd gen is also easier to manufacture but I don't have a partner to get it done now.

marie

Quote from: Grizz on May 31, 2018, 06:22:20 AM
Quote from: RickKrung on May 30, 2018, 08:04:54 PM
Its a great idea for anyone doing volume sharpening that needs speed as well as accuracy and repeatability. 

It does bring to mind a question about the new Tormek diamond wheels.  Do they have abrasive on both sides of the wheel?  I've not looked at anything from Tormek about the new wheels and have not heard anyone mention anything about abrasive being on the inside of the wheel. 

Without it, it seems to me the two-sided angle guides will not work.  Unless one uses only the outside block and pulls the knive through from the front and back, which I wonder how well that could work, requiring clearance from the wheel for the handle and hand, let alone potential differences in grind characteristics given the different directions. 

Rick

Tormek  Diamond  Wheels

Tormek has developed three diamond wheels designed for use with the Tormek Water Cooled Sharpening
System. The Tormek Diamond Wheels offer an exceptional durability and the ability to sharpen on the
periphery as well as the sides. When sharpening on the side of the Diamond Wheels, we recommend
using the Tormek Multi Base MB-100 with the appropriate jig developed for your specific tool.

this to me indicates they coated both sides of the wheel !

Good morning from Sweden,

The Diamond Wheels have abrasive on the outside of the wheel. Apologies for any misunderstandings.

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager

Ken S

While I really like the possibilities with double sided abrasive diamond wheels for rapid knife sharpening, I can see where the extra manufacturing costs involved would be prohibitive for the much smaller customerbase of professional knife sharpeners.

Also, if we have to switch the angle blocks (sharpening knives with different bevel angles), I don't see where using two sides would offer any significant speed advantage. Using either double sided blocks or any of the kenjig type systems, the real speed advantage is obtained with using a standard bevel angle.

I think the regular Tormek knife jigs can be very fast with standardization and even faster with a loader/helper.

I can see the blocks being very fast if eash of the two bevels is loaded from opposite sides.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: WolfY on May 31, 2018, 06:35:33 AM
Quote from: wootz on May 31, 2018, 05:53:07 AM

Thanks Wootz. The self-centering knife jig project was Ok till the guy that helped me started to change things without advising me and the final jig was OK but not as I wanted. Though it led for the 2nd gen of development and stopped at the drawing board as I didn't have time for it and the guy is "not so interested" anymore.
I think the 2nd gen is also easier to manufacture but I don't have a partner to get it done now.

Stop the press! 

You've made a self-centering knife jig?

More info?

Please?

If you're looking to make money from it, and can't share, I understand, but either way, don't keep it to yourself.  It's very much needed.

Edit:  Ah... I found in another thread you are looking to manufacture this, so probably can't share... hopefully it will come back to the top of your to-do list. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

Quote from: wootz on May 30, 2018, 09:09:31 PM

Edge sharpness is under 200 BESS, arm-shaving. It depends on how well you deburr not rounding the edge.
To avoid clamping the knife, we deburr on a slotted paper wheel run on a half-speed grinder, using a static horizontal platform similar to Herman's, cut to the preset angle. So far I've made 2 of such platforms, for 24 and 30 degrees edge, fixing them on our  support for paper wheels with the help of SK12 linear shaft supports that I bought from Aliexpress as advised by puffin.

Thanks for the info.  Almost missed it after you mentioned self-centering knife jig...  :D

WolfY

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 31, 2018, 02:20:26 PM

Stop the press! 

You've made a self-centering knife jig?

More info?

Please?

If you're looking to make money from it, and can't share, I understand, but either way, don't keep it to yourself.  It's very much needed.

Edit:  Ah... I found in another thread you are looking to manufacture this, so probably can't share... hopefully it will come back to the top of your to-do list. ;)

OK OK. I'll look for someone to help me with the new prototype. I'm pretty much excited too to make it real. :)

cbwx34

Quote from: WolfY on May 31, 2018, 08:29:31 PM
OK OK. I'll look for someone to help me with the new prototype. I'm pretty much excited too to make it real. :)

Would be awesome!!!  Thanks!!!👍👍👍👍👍

wootz

Photos of the honing station we use in volume sharpening.
Honing and deburring is done at 1450 RPM on a slotted rock-hard felt wheel and slotted paper wheel using angle-guides of Herman's type.

cbwx34

Ever consider flipping the motor around on its base?

(Puts the switch back in the front, and the power cord in the back).

Pretty easy mod on most grinders.

RickKrung

Reversing the direction of rotation can be done by switching a couple of wires also.  Might be easier than turning the motor within the case.  There are videos out there that show how to do it. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Check under the plate which covers the wires. Manufacturers sometimes place wiring diagrams with reversing instructions there.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: RickKrung on July 06, 2018, 04:47:09 PM
Reversing the direction of rotation can be done by switching a couple of wires also.  Might be easier than turning the motor within the case.  There are videos out there that show how to do it.

I don't know which is easier... but I've done several "flipping the motor on the base", and it's never  been more than a couple of bolts...

... no video required. ;)

But, always good to have options. :)