News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new diamond wheels D.F. 250

Started by bobl, May 25, 2018, 10:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobl

Hi, Has anyone used the new diamond wheel D.F. 250 for the T7 and the T8 on knife sharpening yet?
I would love to hear your comments.
Bob
( The Knife Grinder )

cbwx34

Quote from: bobl on May 25, 2018, 10:10:14 PM
Hi, Has anyone used the new diamond wheel D.F. 250 for the T7 and the T8 on knife sharpening yet?
I would love to hear your comments.
Bob
( The Knife Grinder )

Unless someone has an inside track to one... I don't think they come out until July.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I think the first batch to be shipped very soon, ahead of the projected due date.

Bob, have you tried your DWF-200 with your conventional Tormek?

Ken

Grizz

I'm number 1 on the shipping list according to Wolfgang at Advanced Machinery, so I will try to let everyone know when they start shipping.

wootz

Could anyone tell me please the Tormek diamond wheels technical specifications or where I can read it?

Are they aluminium, steel or something else based?
What diamonds are used: polycrystalline or monocrystalline?
What bonding is: nickel-electroplating or else?
What is the diamond layer thickness?
What warranty they come with - lifetime or ...?

Sharpco

Quote from: wootz on May 26, 2018, 12:32:47 PM
Could anyone tell me please the Tormek diamond wheels technical specifications or where I can read it?

Good question. I want to know too.

cbwx34

I'd be interested too.  I'm guessing you'll have to ask Tormek directly.  (Next time they post about these wheels on FB... I'm going to ask there... they seem to answer more readily). ???

I'll bet I know the answer to the warranty question though, I doubt they'd warranty anything other than a manufacturing defect... and probably their standard 2 year warranty.

Ken S

These are all pertinent questions, which need to be answered,

Tormek uses the term "exceptional durability". In fairness to Tormek, I believe diamond grinding wheels are very prone to user abuse. My guess is that a careful home user, who used a diamond wheel properly would have more than a lifetime of excellent service. I also believe that a professional sharpener who was just as careful would have a tool of exceptional durability. Unfortunately, too many Tormek users are still in the "don't be afraid to really lean on it" technique promoted by early SG-250 videos. Diamond wheels are not the same as aluminum oxide wheels. Just like other Tormek wheels, I believe using the Anti Corrosion Compound with water, as clearly recommended, will be a key longevity factor.

My one experience with the durability of diamond stones is the DMT diamond flattening plate I have essentially ruined. It is a marvelous tool for water stones and India stones. I flattened a carcorundum stone with it, which ruined it. It still works, but much more slowly. If I was still using my water stones, I would gladly replace it. Although my use ruined it, DMT should have placed blatent warnings.

I will forward these questions to support.

The SB costs about 25% more than the SG. From strictly a cost factor, if the SB lasts longer than 25% longer, it is more cost effective. This does not factor in any value for the SB being used for harder HSS and touch up work for carbide.

The diamond wheels cost about twice the cost of an SG, and about a third more than the SB. Using the same logic, if a diamond wheel lasts more than twice as long as an SG, it becomes a better value. Again, this does not factor in the stone grader effect with the SG; the consistent diameter of the diamond stones; the diamond wheels being fully carbide compatable; or being able to accurately grind on the side of the diamond wheels.

I will be very interested support's answers to Wootz' questions.

Ken

Ken S

Good post, CB. Can you ask them those questions directly on their facebook site?

Good guess about the two year standard warranty. That would seem reasonable. Then again, how many of the new diamond wheels will be doing regular duty on long out of warranty SuperGrinds? (I would guess a lot!) I will continue sharpening the blades of my Stanley planes, average vintage 1909, on my Tormek. I wonder what the warranty was on them?

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 26, 2018, 03:47:06 PM
Good post, CB. Can you ask them those questions directly on their facebook site?

Probably... I'm thinking it more likely may generate a response from Tormek if it's in a post they start about the wheels though. 

BTW, what has happend to Stig (Stickan)?  We (I) wear him out?  :o

Ken S

No, Stig is still very much alive and healthy. He recently accepted a similar position with Sjöbergs, the Swedish workbench manufacturer. He will continue through this year as Tormek's rep in North America. He will also be assisting support, at least tempotarily.

Fortunately, he will be continuing with the forum as an individual, an individual with broad knife sharpening experience.

Best wishes, always, Stig.

Ken

bobl

Ken,
I have the DWF - 200 wheel with the T2 machine. I am not keen on the machine, but love the wheel.

Am I able to put the DWF - 200 wheel ( T4 Size ) on to my T7 to try it out ???

I await your educated reply as usual my friend.

Bob
( The Knife Grinder )

Ken S

Bob,

I just popped down to my shop to test my memory. When you remove the wheel from your T2, just remove the washer behind it, too. Place the washer on your T7 before you put your "T2" grinding wheel on. The shaft diameters are identical. The extra washer is enough to make the EZYlock tighten properly. Your wheel should work like a champ on your T7. The 200 mm diameter should work like any larger wheel worn down to 200 mm .

Please post your thoughts.

Ken

marie

Hello Wootz and the rest of you,

The Tormek Diamond Wheels are constructed with a precision machined steel frame. The frame is coated with a single layer of diamond grit that is electrolytically anchored with nickel. The type of diamond we're using is confidential and cannot be shared publicly. The bonding is, like you (Wootz) is suggesting, nickel-electroplating. The diamond wheels are covered of the general Tormek warranty against peeling.

The life of the wheel is very much related to how it's used. It is very important to always apply a low pressure when sharpening. If you are sharpening with a new diamond wheel, a very low pressure should be applied. The diamond grits on a new diamond wheel are very sharp and sensitive to high pressure. We also recommend to always use water when sharpening with the diamond wheel, as it prolongs the life of the wheel and provides a finer surface. When you sharpen with water, remember to always use the ACC-150 Anti-Corrosion Concentrate in the water to prevent rust on the diamond wheel.

Here's a link to the information sheet with all the information: https://www.tormek.com/media/1911657/information-tormek-diamond-wheels-en.pdf

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager, Tormek

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: marie on May 28, 2018, 03:21:49 PM

Hello Wootz and the rest of you,

The Tormek Diamond Wheels are constructed with a precision machined steel frame. The frame is coated with a single layer of diamond grit that is electrolytically anchored with nickel. The type of diamond we're using is confidential and cannot be shared publicly. The bonding is, like you (Wootz) is suggesting, nickel-electroplating. The diamond wheels are covered of the general Tormek warranty against peeling.

The life of the wheel is very much related to how it's used. It is very important to always apply a low pressure when sharpening. If you are sharpening with a new diamond wheel, a very low pressure should be applied. The diamond grits on a new diamond wheel are very sharp and sensitive to high pressure. We also recommend to always use water when sharpening with the diamond wheel, as it prolongs the life of the wheel and provides a finer surface. When you sharpen with water, remember to always use the ACC-150 Anti-Corrosion Concentrate in the water to prevent rust on the diamond wheel.

Here's a link to the information sheet with all the information: https://www.tormek.com/media/1911657/information-tormek-diamond-wheels-en.pdf

Kind regards,
Marie - Marketing Manager, Tormek

Are the T2 wheels the same manufacture, and would there be benefit to using them with water?
I can say, after getting a T2 that I got to try the other day, it really has put a smile on multiple faces.  Takes as much time to get it out and setup as it does to sharpen a knife that is just starting to get dull, and back to work in under two minutes.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)