News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-8 vibration and loud noise

Started by Gray79, May 27, 2019, 07:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray79

I received my T-8 friday, the 24 of May. It has a loud motor hum as described in other posts and vibrates. I originally considered that since it was new and could have been stored for some time that it would stop after some use. It has not. It sits on a 2-inch wood counter, I have greased the shaft as suggested in other posts. The vibration and sound are there with or without the stone, so I think I can rule out honing the stone. Once you apply pressure to the stone it will stop but starts instantly after you let up. I have discovered that if I apply just a little pressure on the motor through the casing that the sound and vibration stop. If I remove the drive wheel it also stops. It does not appear that the motor is touching the case, but it only seems to be getting worse. I did a few knives on it and it was so loud and vibrating so much that I had to stop. Please Help....!

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Gray 79.

I suggest you contact Tormek support (support@tormek.se). It would be helpful if you could attach a video (audio) of your T8 making the noise. Over the years, I have found that support consistently solves problems efficiently.

Please post your results.

Ken

jeffs55

An improperly attached water trough can cause noises to be made. If your trough is attached properly and has water in it, place a sponge(s) between it and the table the machine sits on and see if that will dampen the vibrations. You do not need to wet the sponge. You should however use new sponges as once they become wet and dry, they dry hard and are no longer soft.
You can use less of more but you cannot make more of less.

Ken S

Jeff has a good idea for older, out of warranty machines. However, for your new machine, this is a warranty issue. Contact support and let Tormek solve the issue (at no charge to you). One of the factors in the higher cost of a Tormek is the outstanding warranty service and support.

Ken

Gray79

Thanks for the input. I will be contacting support today. I tried attaching my video here but it must be too large. the sponge idea is good but the vibration and sound are present with the stone and water trough removed. The issue goes away once I remove the drive wheel and there is no pressure on drive shaft from the motor.

Ken S

I have the same problem attaching photos to the forum. Can you include it in an email to support?

Don't get discouraged.

Ken

Gray79

the Tormek rep said the issue is due to a faulty motor bushing and that they will replace the unit.

Ken S

Gray 79,

I am pleased that Tormek support is resolving your problem! This is a textbook example of why I always recommend contacting support.
Enjoy your new Tormek, and please keep posting.

Ken

Gray79

Well I have had no further contact with tormek and cant get a reply on if the new unit has been sent.

Antz

Ok so just experienced a weird sound with my tormek t-8 as well. It may be my fault. Let me explain what happened. First I was using the leather wheel on a long knife so I decided to remove the grinding wheel. I removed the wheel but didn't have the plastic spacer that came on the shaft when it was new out of the box, so I also removed the ezlock and washer and set them on the side. I finished stropping on the leather wheel and reinstalled the grinding wheel. Very next knife I did had an extra thick handle where the leather wheel was in the way, so I removed the leather wheel. Now when I ran the machine and put any pressure on the grind wheel it made a knocking sound. I was trying to figure it out and found it was coming from the rubber contact wheel. Just to inspect it I removed the contact wheel. That's when I noticed that once the contact wheel was off the shaft that connects the grind wheel and rubber contact wheel, the shaft can freely slide back and fourth. So I put the contact wheel back on, tightened the nut and turned the machine on. Now the contact wheel had a MAJOR wobble. I had to loosen the nut so the contact wheel is no longer tight against the washer between the contact wheel and the shaft bearing. Now it runs with no wobble and once I put the leather wheel back on the contact wheel it no longer makes the knocking sound. So for now I won't be removing either the grind wheel or leather wheel until I figure out what was going on.

My question is do any of you think I messed something up by running the machine without the spacer and ezlock? And is the shaft suppose to have so much play back and fourth? For example I could push the shaft right out one way or the other depending which wheel I take off. And is the contact wheel suppose to be tightened down with the nut or just tight enough to where it runs well. As of now there's about a 1/8" gap between the contact wheel and the shaft bearing. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Gray79

If the stone was off and ran the machine, there us a good chance that the axle shifted and could have messed up the bearing on the stone side. I would suggest removing the axle and inspecting the bearings on both sides. If you are going to continuously run the machine with out the stone I would go to the local hardware store and get a spacer to replace the stone. That stone and ez lock nut are all that holds the axle in place .

Antz

Grey,
Yes I had to learn the hard way about the spacer, but luckily no damage to the bearings or anything. Ken just posted a YouTube link on another thread that covers this topic and is a recommended watch.

Thanks,
Antz
"But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭15:57‬ ‭

Josu V

Only one note about some noises...

I went crazy with one noise (vibration) in my T8. With and without grinding wheel. With and without leather wheel.
Puting the T8 in different places; over different bases...

Finally was the WM-200 Anglemaster  :o
Simply by removing it, the problem was solved.

Probably this may be a folishness,  but...  :)

Regards
Abusus non tollit usum

Ken S

Bién hecho, Josu. (well done) Your solution would not have occurred to me. You have good diagnostic skills.

Ken