News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Shout out to Jan!

Started by Y-Not, April 25, 2018, 10:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y-Not

I wanted to thank Jan for not only having the ability to create but making the knife/jig placement template available to us.

As some may know, I'm new to the Tormek but have been sharpening by hand and recently, guided rod for years.
I'm gearing up to be the sharpening vendor at a local Farmers Market.  Thus far, everything with the Tormek has been nothing but 1st class.

I've done several chisels, scissors, plane blades, axes and a hatchet.  No problems what-so-ever.  The knives on the other hand were making me a bit nervous just because of the bevel width being inconsistent (insert newbie here).

The tip/point (stabby part) was making me question the Tormek (how dare I do such a thing).
Until last night when I re-read the manual and finally picked up on the placement of the jig in relation to the tip/point.  Then it all came together.

This morning I was re-introduced to Jan's template and I could not wait to leave work and give it a go.

Using the belt sander, I flattened all of my cheap/disposable testing knives.
Using the template, I was able to not only re-grind the edge to a razor sharp edge but the bevels were BEAUTIFUL!  Even bevels from tip to heel on every knife!

Tonight I think I'm going to take my least favorite but still high quality kitchen knife into the basement and give it a go.

Haven't been this afraid since being caught by my father while sneaking out of the house as a teenager. 

THANK YOU Jan!   :)

Your template has shaved more minutes off my sharpening time and given me the confidence that I'm not going to jack up someone's knife at the market in just over 4 weeks.  ::)
Not as sharp as I once was but I'm as sharp once as I ever was.

Jan

Y-Not, you are welcome!  :)

I am really glad to read that you find my template useful. It works fine for blades with so called Tormekian bellies and I use it regularly. For blades with non-Tormekian bellies the template warns me to be more careful when sharpening the tip.  ;)

Good luck!

Jan