News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Tweaking My Technique"

Started by Ken S, March 26, 2018, 03:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I do a lot of online surfing for Tormek information. I found this yesterday. It covers some solid basic technique. I found the comment made by Shannon especially telling: " I guess I have avoided using it [the stone grader] too much for fear I would grind down the wheel prematurely." I think this statement typifies a very commonly held mistaken idea which hinders many Tormek users. Regular use of the stone grader causes no more than minimal stone wear, and is essential to good Tormek technique.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on March 26, 2018, 03:50:56 PM
I do a lot of online surfing for Tormek information. I found this yesterday. It covers some solid basic technique. I found the comment made by Shannon especially telling: " I guess I have avoided using it [the stone grader] too much for fear I would grind down the wheel prematurely." I think this statement typifies a very commonly held mistaken idea which hinders many Tormek users. Regular use of the stone grader causes no more than minimal stone wear, and is essential to good Tormek techniquel

Ken

The article helped me to take into account an important step when honing a knife.

Ken S

Fernando, amigo,

Hace quarento y seis años de que he estudiado la lengua Español en la universidad. Qúe lástima que durante estos años se me ha olvidado tanto. Desde que la mayoria del forum habla Ingles, es mejór escribir en Ingles.

For those of us who do not speak Spanish, It has been forty six years since I studied Spanish in university. What a shame that during those years I have forgotten so much. Since the majority of the forum speaks English, it is better to write in English.

One delightful subtlety missed in this English translation is the literal meaning of the verb olvidarse, to forget. Literally "the Spanish language forgot itself to me." I like that better than actually forgetting in English.

As much as I value and enjoy Spanish and other languages, for the benefit of efficient communication, I suggest we use English whenever possible.   :'(

Ken

Grizz

Quote from: Fernando on April 03, 2018, 08:22:49 PM
Quote from: Ken S on March 26, 2018, 03:50:56 PM
I do a lot of online surfing for Tormek information. I found this yesterday. It covers some solid basic technique. I found the comment made by Shannon especially telling: " I guess I have avoided using it [the stone grader] too much for fear I would grind down the wheel prematurely." I think this statement typifies a very commonly held mistaken idea which hinders many Tormek users. Regular use of the stone grader causes no more than minimal stone wear, and is essential to good Tormek technique.

Ken
I GOT A WARNING from the above website saying it was unsafe. got the message fro PC MATIC.

Ken S

Thanks for the warning, Grizz.

The website was interesting, but not worth taking the chance of infecting a computer. I removed the link.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on April 04, 2018, 01:40:07 AM
Fernando, amigo,

Hace quarento y seis años de que he estudiado la lengua Español en la universidad. Qúe lástima que durante estos años se me ha olvidado tanto. Desde que la mayoria del forum habla Ingles, es mejór escribir en Ingles.

For those of us who do not speak Spanish, It has been forty six years since I studied Spanish in university. What a shame that during those years I have forgotten so much. Since the majority of the forum speaks English, it is better to write in English.

One delightful subtlety missed in this English translation is the literal meaning of the verb olvidarse, to forget. Literally "the Spanish language forgot itself to me." I like that better than actually forgetting in English.

As much as I value and enjoy Spanish and other languages, for the benefit of efficient communication, I suggest we use English whenever possible.   :'(

Ken

Hi ken, thanks for the friendly and funny comment, I really wrote it in Spanish unconsciously.  :)

Grizz

Ken S

Fernando,

I believe the reason you posted in Spanish is best stated as "se me olvidó", it forgot itself to me.  :)

Keep posting!

Ken

Grizz,

De nada; you're welcome.

Ken