News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Operating Height

Started by Rick_B, January 10, 2010, 02:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick_B

Hi - I'm wondering if there is a recommended bench height for the Tormek when sharpening chisels and plane blades.  Thanks!

Jeff Farris

For chisels and plane irons, I like to work with the top of the machine frame just an inch or two above the level of my belly button.  I make the recommendation this way so that you can get the height right regardless of your height.
Jeff Farris

Rick_B

Thanks Jeff - looks like I need to lower the machine 3 or so inches - or raise me  :D

Jeff Farris

Quote from: Rick_B on January 10, 2010, 01:19:08 PM
Thanks Jeff - looks like I need to lower the machine 3 or so inches - or raise me  :D

Most work surfaces are a little too high.  You'll get better, faster results on straight edges if you're working down on the machine a little.
Jeff Farris

Ken S

A very timely topic for all times.

Ken

Jeremy

I have just built a sharpening bench for a Woodcraft Guild with over 250 members and two Tormek machines. The bench height is 820mm. My anthropometry book gives a suggested range of bench height from 864 to 914, the belly button or elbow height above the floor are good guides. Given the height of the bar that takes the jigs for the tormek and the need to press down on the tool as you sharpen a lower height seems reasonable.

Fernando

I think the tormek sharpening station TS-740 would be a good reference
They were not random measures, they are based on ergonomic studies to facilitate the work

Height: Between 750 mm to 830 mm (29½ "and 32 2/3").

https://www.tormek.com/usa/en/accessories/sharpening-station/ts-740-sharpening-station/

Ken S

I have found Tormek's positions on working height confusing. I have my work station set for the minimum height. (I am 5' 10"). This height is higher than either of the recommendations given in the handbook.

If I ever get around to building a stand for my Tormek, I plan to make two simple stands, each the length and width to fit the Tormek rubber mat and different heights. The lower stand be used with the vertical grinding into position and the lower stand would be used for grinding away horizontal grinding. The stands would be portable and have no drawers. The stand not being used with a Tormek would hold tools, jig, etc on a second Tormek rubber mat.

Ken