News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Machine Set-up related to carpal tunnel/repetitive motion injuries

Started by bisonbladesharpening, March 31, 2018, 09:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bisonbladesharpening

I have a tendency to develop a tennis elbow which is related to repetitive
motions.  I have found that working with the wheel going away from me makes a great difference.
Rather than having to put constant pressure on a knife
I can let the support bar do a lot of the work and I can use lighter pressure on the blade.
Saves me a lot of muscle fatigue after 30 or 40 knives.
Best Wishes
Tim

Grizz

Ken S

Very astute observation, Tim. (very practical, too!)

My original motivation to purchase a Tormek was the pain in my hands from flattening the backs of some new chisels for a hand cut dovetailing class. This was reinforced in a Fine Woodworking article about working with hand pain which featured the Tormek.

Most of us have watched Jeff Farris' videos and are at least subconsciously influenced by Jeff's "Don't be afraid to really lean on it" comment. Many forget than Jeff also stated that the Tormek also works well with light pressure for those with less than strong hands. That's just another example of the Tormek versatility I value.

I think the light pressure crew, of which I am one, are getting a major advantage with the new diamond wheels. They are designed to be used with a light touch.

Steve Bottorff introduced me to grinding away eith knives. That has remained my favorite method.

I hope this topic will generate many replies; it has much value.

Ken

I will be curious to see if the new MB-100

Ken S

cbwx34

Quote from: bisonbladesharpening on March 31, 2018, 09:41:25 PM
I have a tendency to develop a tennis elbow which is related to repetitive
motions.  I have found that working with the wheel going away from me makes a great difference.
Rather than having to put constant pressure on a knife
I can let the support bar do a lot of the work and I can use lighter pressure on the blade.
Saves me a lot of muscle fatigue after 30 or 40 knives.
Best Wishes
Tim

Interesting. (Still use the jig I assume?)

Wonder if the jig being attached to the USB would help?

It eliminates the "back pressure" with the wheel turning toward the knife... not sure how much effect it would have the other way, but might be worth trying at some point.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Grizz

where would the "projection length" be measured from and to with a jig like that ? that is a good looking mod.

Ken S

I would use a combination square with the tip of the blade with the knife edge and the stock square with the support bar.

With my kenjig, I just scribe a line at 139mm from one end of the jig.

Wootz has designed a clever block to measure projection.

CB, clever jifg design. I think you are on to something.

Ken

stevebot

I am with Bison on preferring to use the Tormek moving off the edge. I sharpen freehand. I have not experienced any pain and I am 78.
Steve Bottorff; author, teacher and consultant on knife and scissor sharpening.

Ken S

cbwx34

Quote from: stevebot on April 02, 2018, 08:11:02 PM
I am with Bison on preferring to use the Tormek moving off the edge. I sharpen freehand. I have not experienced any pain and I am 78.

This is really only relevant, if you sharpened the "other" way, and it did cause an issue.  ;)  (Otherwise, it could just be a coincidence).

Quote from: Grizz on April 02, 2018, 03:42:08 AM
where would the "projection length" be measured from and to with a jig like that ? that is a good looking mod.

If you're asking to use something like wootz's calculator, the short answer is, you can't.  :(  (I thought it was working, but turned out, not to).  I haven't tried it with any other method, so can't say for sure... in theory it should be to the pivot, but in some cases, it seems to work with some methods measuring behind the pivot... but I'm not sure if that is "right"... or just a coincidence.

Hmmm... two "coincidences" in one post....  :o
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

As much as I admire the prevision and innovation of Wootz' program, the humble kenjig works either direction.

Ken