News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Questions and deadline for the upcoming Tormek outdoor knife video

Started by Ken S, March 29, 2018, 05:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Stig just notified me that the deadline for questions for the upcomng Tormek hunting and outdoor knife video is this coming Monday, April 2. Please post your questions on this topic to keep them all together.

Ken

Ken S

Marie from Tormek just replied to my email. Monday is the deadline for questions; filming will start Tuesday morning Sweden Time. She welcomes questions from the forum, but asks us to remember that the primary audience is hunters. I believe the film is a joint project with Tormek and a Swedish hunting store.

I will start the list of questions by asking if the standard 20ยบ degree bevel setting for outdoor knives is a universal recommendation or if there is some variation depending on the kind of steel or function of the knife?

I am not a hunter. I hope this video will expand our knowledge of hunting knives and how to sharpen them.

Ken

Ken S

Using the stone grader, where is a good grit to begin sharpening hunting knives?
How often should this grit be refreshed?

Ken

wootz

Hunting and outdoor knives commonly are 3-5 mm thick at the blade spine.
How to grind bevels of even height with the knife jig SVM-45?

wootz

Skinning knives question - how to sharpen a convex blade on Tormek?

wootz

wootz

wootz

Long sticking/slaughtering knives - how to sharpen the tip so that not to overgrind it?

Ken S

SharpenADullWitt

I certainly would be interested in the butchering stuff.  I ALSO, would love to see something that I don't remember ever seeing a Tormek video of, sharpening serrations.  A lot of knives, both indoor and outdoor, are serrated at least in part.  I'd like to actually see someone from Tormek do that.
What about arrowheads? (bow hunting)
Thank you!
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

I would like to see the use of middle grits with the stone grader discussed.

Ken

Ken S

I would also like to see a comparison of the leather honing wheel and the SJ wheel.

I look forward to watching the new Tormek video. As with all of the Tormek videos, I plan to use it as an ongoing learning aid and plan to watch it several times. I hope it will be part of the website so that it is easily accessable. By the way, do you have an idea when the video will be ready to view?  I trust you will post when it becomes viewable.

Ken

Ken S

I would be interested in learning Tormek's thoughts on "touch up" sharpening using just the leather honing wheel.

Ken