News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

new information on the diamond wheels and multi base

Started by Ken S, March 29, 2018, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

We have been curious about pricing on the new diamond wheels. I just received this from Advanced Machinery, a large US based Tormek dealer (also the most complete parts source I know of).

https://www.advmachinery.com/pages/tormek-diamond-wheels-coming-in-june

Ken

Grizz

I got the same email from Tormek (Advanced Machinery). I went ahead and ordered the 3 wheel package with free multi base and free shipping !

Grizz

also I might add, is they will be available in July, and they do charge your card when you order.

Ken S

Exciting, Grizz. Keep us posted on your thoughts about the new wheels.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

Thanks for the link, I watched the video and my first reaction was "they are running these in water?".
Then I realized the water is more of a heat sink for the tool and to take away metal particles.  But is something required to use water with these wheels?  (additive) or does this recommend/require distilled water?  Will that affect the wheel (cleaning, or substrait rusting) ?
Also one image of the video, makes me want to see the finish of the extra fine wheel, compared to the SJ wheel.  I am now starting to think the EF wheel might be the better value.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Ken S

Good thoughts, SADW.

I wish I knew more about Tormek's thinking with using the diamond wheels wet. Tormek recommends using them wet with their new Anti Corrosion Compound (ACC-150, the 150 meaning in 150ml bottles). It is diluted 1 part ACC to 25 parts water. I am not sure if this is to prevent rust on the diamond wheel or for cleaning and lubricating the wheel.

From my earlier work with CBN wheels and Honerite Gold, I learned that CBN and presumably diamond wheels do not absorb water like traditional wheels. There is no need to add water to cover absorbtion. I measured the amount of water and additive needed in milliliters for the T4/7/8 water troughs and filled them from a graduate. I have not seen Tormek's new additive. Perhaps the bottle cap can be used to measure the amount needed.

I have graduates left over from my photographic darkroom. The amount of solution should remain constant. Once I determine the amount, I will pour it in a plastic peanut butter jar and mark the level with a black marker. Between the plastic jar and the bottle cap (or designated measuring container), set up will be consistent and fast.

Diamond wheels should only throw off steel grindings. A magnet attached or built into the water trough should isolate these, leaving the water clean enough to reuse. For frequent use, can the solution be reused? We should know this.

The T2 does not include a water trough, although the T4 trough is an exact fit. The T2 is designed to be used dry and with no honing compound. Would a water trough and solution improve or hinder the T2 results? I don't know, but intend to find out.

We are entering a new Tormek era; there is much interesting information to discover.

Ken

Ken S

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on March 30, 2018, 06:45:48 AM
Also one image of the video, makes me want to see the finish of the extra fine wheel, compared to the SJ wheel.  I am now starting to think the EF wheel might be the better value.

I think which would be the better value would depend on the intended use. If the wheel was intended to be a permanent grit alternative for the SG or SB graded fine, the DWE-250 would get more use. If the desired goal was the ultimate smooth polished edge, I would vote for the SJ. I suspect in the workaday world that the DWE will see more use. I would like to see comparative surfaces. I found that the DWC left a very respectable surface when used with a light touch.  The DWE used with a light touch, especially when used wet, might rival the SJ. Time and comparisons will tell.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on March 30, 2018, 06:45:48 AM

While it may not leave quite the finish of the SJ wheel (I don't know).. there are other factors that would "push" me toward the diamond wheel over the SJ wheel... for example, it should work better on some of the higher end steels, I wouldn't have to adjust for different size wheels when switching between them, etc.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Grizz

it will be interesting to compare the differences of the DE stone vs. the SJ. I already have the SJ so now just waiting on the Diamond set (all 3). I also noticed the ACC-150 will not be available until June and Affinity nor Advanced Machinery have the part # or the price posted of the 150ml bottle. 1oz+25oz water. I wouldn't think you'd have to change the water that often, but definitely I will clean the water tank magnet after every use and then refill the water tank or pour the solution into a clean container and keep separate so I can use the SJ wheel if need be.

cbwx34

Quote from: Grizz on March 30, 2018, 04:22:13 PM
it will be interesting to compare the differences of the DE stone vs. the SJ. I already have the SJ so now just waiting on the Diamond set (all 3). I also noticed the ACC-150 will not be available until June and Affinity nor Advanced Machinery have the part # or the price posted of the 150ml bottle. 1oz+25oz water. I wouldn't think you'd have to change the water that often, but definitely I will clean the water tank magnet after every use and then refill the water tank or pour the solution into a clean container and keep separate so I can use the SJ wheel if need be.

Just an FYI... the diamond wheel is supposed to come with a bottle of the anti-corrosion compound... so you may want to check with Adv. Machinery (I would think if you ordered the 3 wheel set, you'd get 3 bottles).... before ordering any.

Grizz

hey, thanks for the heads up on that. I didn't see where it includes a free bottle with order of D wheels. I will check on that also.

Grizz

I just got email from Wolfgang and he said that indeed they do come with a bottle of ACC-150 with each wheel !
he had just found out today about that as well !  so, good news there.

cbwx34

Quote from: Grizz on March 31, 2018, 01:23:49 AM
I just got email from Wolfgang and he said that indeed they do come with a bottle of ACC-150 with each wheel !
he had just found out today about that as well !  so, good news there.

Nice!  :)

Ken S

From Affinity Tool, US Importer for Tormek:

ACC-150 comes with the diamond wheel

WM-200 will be with new machines before the Diamond wheels hit the market

Ken

bisonbladesharpening

Will the ability to use the side of the wheel allow us Tormek users
to mimic a flat hone and sharpen convex salon shears and clipper blades.
Would require a new jig for salon shears I'm sure.
Just trying to justify the 999.00 investment for the package.
Best Wishes
Tim