News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Just bought a used older Tormek I believe it is a Super Grind 2000?

Started by Cliff, March 28, 2018, 07:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cliff

I very much appreciate all this good advice glad I decided to join the Tormek Community
I have a turkey baster in my wood shop, what a great idea for the trough.

Glad I decided to remove both the wheels so I can farther service the unit.

Iv'e been reading the recent posts and will go through previous older posts as well as time permits

Cliff

Ken S

Cliff,

A good way to learn from the older posts is to do a member search for Jeff Farris. Jeff was the founder and original moderator of the forum. Most of the earlier topics were much shorter. A member would post a question and Jeff would answer it. Occasionally other members would chime in. Jeff was the US Tormek agent and demonstrator for many years. He handled repairs and parts. His posts have a wealth of knowledge. When you pull up his member profile, click on show posts. The forum format assigns number one to the most recent post. Since Jeff no longer posts, his post numbers are static and easy to follow. I have often studied his posts and have never failed to learn.

Ken

ps Your handbook is not precious. I make notes and underline in mine. Like the Tormek itself, I use my handbooks as tools.

SharpenADullWitt

How did you inspect the play in the bushings?  Were you able to get the stone off the shaft?
If your able to get it off and you think you need bushings, consider the shaft upgrade with the EZ nut.  (WELL worth it)
The bushings and the shaft should be lubed once a year (probably more if used a lot with the non stainless shaft).  While any grease should do, I believe white lithium was what was originally recommended.  I however use a food grade approved grease that is inexpensive and I picked up as Snap on uses it in their ratchets.  (Super Lube)  One tube should last a long time as is inexpensive, as well as available at some building centers, and a few other places.
As you learned you should always fill the water trough and let it run a bit.
Also on those older models, they do not have a magnet in the tray.  The newer ones have a place for a magnet, the older ones I have seen a magnet inside a small ziplock bag, or gluing magnets on the outside of the water tray.  Both have pro's and con's.  I think if I obtained a new to me, older unit, now what I might do is glue some metal onto the tray and place a magnet on it.  This would allow me to pull the magnet off and watch the metal fall into the trash can easier.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

Cliff

Thanks for the info on the water trough CB I found the two hooks that is made for the trough I have that figured out now, looking forward to getting the sharpening hand book, it's also good to know there is lots of life left in the stone.

And again thanks to Ken for suggestion on how he fills his water trough and let the Tormek run and absorb the water, I like the turkey baster idea I have one in my  wood shop. In a previous post you suggested I clean and re grease the two nylon bushings on the shaft
mine is steel as you suggested and it was rusted and pitted took a while to remove not all but some of it. perhaps I will replace it for the stainless steel one like you did down the road.

Thanks,
Cliff

Cliff

I sure appreciate all the help, I look forward to reading Jeff Farris posts!!

To answer SharpenADullWitt; The stone was hard to remove from the shaft and the shaft was pitted and rusty I cleaned it up as much as possible re greased it with some Molly grease I used for my motorcycle. After I get up and running properly I plan to replace the shaft with  the Stainless Steel one with the EZ nut. I will check out the Super Lube you suggested.
I like the magnet idea I have a small and strong one I could glue on the outside of the tray

Much appreciated,
Cliff

Ken S

Cliff,

Good timing thought with your shaft replacement. Incidentally, the kit comes with a new set of nylon bushings.

I used electrical tape to hold the magnet onto my water trough. It works fine, and is easily redone should you change your mind about placement. The magnet trick has been around for many years. It works, and works even better with CBN and diamond wheels which do not shed abrasive swarf.

Good progress.......

Ken

jonj

Cliff, as an owner of a 1996 Super Grind 2000, I agree with all the suggestions you have received about upgrades. Over the years, I have added the threaded universal support with micro adjust, horizontal universal support base, stainless steel shaft and EZ nut, updated angle finder, and after reading here just a few days ago about Super Lube, obtained a tube and did a clean and relube of my machine yesterday. It is still working great. And then there are the jigs (and improved jigs) as applicable.

Having just found this site a few weeks ago, I have been going through the threads and find I am learning a significant amount which will improve my sharpening skills (and also correct a large number of bad habits which have unfortunately crept into my work process over the years). In my opinion, you have found the right place for Tormek information.
Jon

Ken S

Jon,

You are a happy example of what Cliff's "Ghost of Christmas Future" will be. You are an experienced Tormek user. You have incorporated the essential improvements into your Tormek and it continues to work like a trooper.

You are also a member of a valuable forum group that I missed. I did a lot of work on my house in the nineties and purchased many of my power tools then. For some reason, I was completely unaware of the Tormek. (I was still using oilstones and my dry grinder; I must be a slow learner.) I did not purchase my first Tormek, a T7, until 2009. I have no direct experience with the SuperGrind. The older SuperGrinds are not very different from the T4/7/8. However, I have never dealt with shaft rust or used the previous truing tool. There are many subtleties I missed, and I am grateful that we have a number of active posters who do have that experience.

Do keep posting. We will always have new members with shiny new Tormeks. We will also always have new members like Cliff who are reviving veteran SuperGrinds and putting them back on active duty. They will continue to need the guidance, camaraderie, and experience this forum shares.

Cliff, I hope that as you become an old Tormek hand, you will share that experience with future new hands. I have faith.

Ken

Cliff

Lots of great information, much appreciated Jon for your comments after a thorough cleaning and breakdown of the parts I found the shaft will need to be replaced with the stainless steel one however it is still fairly tight in the plastic bushings with very little play I  expect after I get up and running I will replace it. and the threaded universal support as well. as time allows I'm also going through the threads.

WONDERFUL NEWS!!! guess I'm a lucky fellow I went back to the place where I bought my Super grind 2000 and we looked around and found the following: The yellow hand book; Whetstone Grinding of Edge Tools, A Yellow Plastic WM-100 Angle Master and a WM-200 Angle Master, ADV-50 Diamond Stone Truing Tool, SP-650  Fine Surface with Stone Grinder, a partially used tube of Honing Compound PA-70, SVM-45 Grinding Jig for knives, SVH-60 Grinding Jig for straight  edges, SVH-320 Grinding Jig for Plainer Blades.

I very happy about the SHV-320 now I can sharpen the planer blades for my General Jointer instead of sending them out to be sharpened.

Looks like I'm all set for a while, I can now dress the Tormek.

Cliff

Ken S

Great news, Cliff!

You are in business.

Just for possible future reference, if you ever decide to upgrade to the TT-50 truing tool, there is a version named the TT-50U. The U stands for upgrade. It does not come with the diamond and is designed for people who already own the ADV-50 and want to reuse their diamond. The cost is about half the cost of the TT-50.

I am pleased you stopped back. Fortune favors the brave!

Ken

Cliff

The TT-50U is a great idea Ken it would for sure give you much more control.
Much appreciated,
Cliff

Ken S

Cliff,

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must confess how I first learned about the TT-50U. I was truing my grinding wheel when the wheel jammed. The diamond tip put a gash in my grinding wheel when it abruptly stopped. I thought I had ruined the diamond cluster.

I realized that I had neglected to lock the TT-50 to the support bar, a lesson I hopefully learn once. Shopping for a replacement diamond cluster, I noticed that Advanced Machinery was selling what I thought was the TT-50 for the price of just the replacement cluster elsewhere. I ordered one.

My curiosity got the better of me the next day. With the TT-50 properly secured, it worked fine. I ground out the gash and order was restored.

When my replacement arrived, I noticed that it was the TT-50U, the upgrade unit for those who wanted to reuse the diamond from the earlier truing tool. The oversight was entirely mine; the listing was quite clear. I was just too focused on finding a bargain. I contacted AM, who refunded the cost of the tool. I paid the return shipping, which seemed fair. I am still a satisfied AM customer.

So, I share this in the hope that you and other readers will not make my mistake.

Ken