News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Diamond wheels vs grind stones

Started by RichColvin, March 06, 2018, 03:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickan

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 08, 2018, 03:20:28 PM
Quote from: Ken S on March 08, 2018, 11:10:31 AM
CB,

Unfortunately, I must agree with you again. When facebook arrived, so many people dropped off the planet with email. I already spend too much time online with the forum. I hate to spend any more time with facebook and instagram. However, that seems the way to keep current...grumble, grumble.

Ken

The reality is, the social media platforms are also replacing the forums.  (This has nothing to do with Tormek, it has happened elsewhere).  You might have to "rebudget" your time. ;)

I let my wife answer that.....  :o

This Forum has had a steady growth the last years and I believe its becasue of you users with a higher wish of understanding how things work.
For many user this forum is to advanced for what they need to know and they are ok by getting info from our handbook, DVD, Web-page or easier social medias.

Sincerely,
Stig

cbwx34

I was going to add this to my last post... but you guys are quick. ;)

Even Tormek's recommendation for info....

Quote from: marie on December 01, 2017, 08:33:33 AM
Good morning from Sweden!

First of all, I hope everyone is well! From what I read, you all seem to be staying really sharp! Great to see! :)
For those of you who don't know who I am, my name is Marie and I am working with Marketing Communications at Tormek.

Today, I just want to check in and encourage you all to follow us on Instagram, which is a social networking app made for sharing photos and videos.
If you are using the app, you can follow us directly at tormek_sharpening and get our features in your feed.
You can also see our feed in your browser by following this link: https://www.instagram.com/tormek_sharpening

We use Instagram to keep everyone updated on Tormek news and other tips and tricks. We hope to see you there!
Wishing you all a great day!

Kind regards,
Marie

We need to be as versatile in our sources, as we are in our sharpening. ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I can understand that many of the forum topics may be beyond the knowledge or interest of many Tormek users. They were certainly above my Tormek knowledge when I first joined in 2009. They were not above my interest, or the interest of many of us.

I can certainly understand that Tormek, like any business, must concentrate its marketing resources where they will produce the best return.

I understand that the present fashion for communication has become facebook and instagram.  And, yes, I am well aware that I must adapt to the present fashion in communication. I will do that.

I do receive press releases from Tormek and a couple dealers, which I appreciate. I share this information with the forum and encourage other members to do the same.

I have long felt that support has been the best place for authoritative answers. There are many areas where we are lean on expertise. We always try to help, but often a solid answer from support would be more useful.  I suggest we all make better use of support and share that knowledge, when applicable, with the forum. There is a lot of expertise in Sweden which, while not confidential, has not entered into the handbook yet. The Tormek is a very versatile tool in skilled hands; I want go make every effort to make our members more skilled.

I have had more pleasant contact with Tormek personnel than most of the members. I want to share those good feelings and what I have learned with the membership.

Ken

SharpenADullWitt

I haven't been on the forum in a while, life has a way of getting in the way.  (been working 12 to 14 hour days, so when I am off, I am exhausted)
I am looking forward to the course wheel, and due to my long hours, when I saw the email, I tried to find one online to order (missed the coming in June part).  I like refurbishing tools and such and can see this for things like dressing screwdrivers, chipped plane blades, shaping lathe tools, etc.  Then I could use either my black wheel or my SG stone, and of course vary the grinding a bit (pressure, stone use, etc).
I think the SJ stone has a place certainly in certain types of eastern restaurants (spelling, sishimi knife).  The E series diamond stone, might give it a run for its money in cost, durability, and edge for those that don't already have one.  But most knifes I think the thoughts on the forum are, should have a bit of a toothy edge.
So I would think if you were consistently touching up the same types of tools, the F diamond stone, might be as fine as you want.

Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

cbwx34

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on March 11, 2018, 05:56:35 AM
I think the SJ stone has a place certainly in certain types of eastern restaurants (spelling, sishimi knife). 

So, my curiosity was aroused... anyone have an example of the SJ wheel actually being used on a Japanese knife?  ???

(A sashimi knife in particular... I think you'd be hard pressed to find one being sharpened on a Tormek... but would be interested in seeing it done).

SharpenADullWitt

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 11, 2018, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on March 11, 2018, 05:56:35 AM
I think the SJ stone has a place certainly in certain types of eastern restaurants (spelling, sishimi knife). 

So, my curiosity was aroused... anyone have an example of the SJ wheel actually being used on a Japanese knife?  ???

(A sashimi knife in particular... I think you'd be hard pressed to find one being sharpened on a Tormek... but would be interested in seeing it done).

I have no idea where I saw it.  Before the T2 was available for commercial use in the USA, there was a video (seems like it dealt with other issues) where during it, they shown their T7 and their SJ stone that they used regularly on their knives.
This is why I think someone would choose the SJ stone over the diamond stone, current user and no reason to spend more money.
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

RichColvin

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 11, 2018, 03:00:49 PMSo, my curiosity was aroused... anyone have an example of the SJ wheel actually being used on a Japanese knife?  ???

CB,

I've used the SJ stone on a Japanese marking knife, & it worked wonderfully. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

I think the SJ will remain popular. It has the ultimate edge mystique of 4000 grit. While the SG will continue to serve the majority of sharpeners day in and day out, some sharpeners will require, or at least believe that they require, the ultimate edges. While the SG does trooper service for my urility and dovetail chisels, a highly polished edge on a Japanese marking knife is certainly tempting for precise layout work.

I like having choices.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: RichColvin on March 13, 2018, 11:55:29 PM
CB,

I've used the SJ stone on a Japanese marking knife, & it worked wonderfully. 

Rich

Thanks.  I was thinking more of the "traditional" Japanese kitchen knives, (and probably asked it a bit "tongue in cheek"). ;)

Grizz

I've used the SJ stone, but not on my jap knives yet. gotta get a little better before I try that.

Ken S

We should remember the function of the SJ. It is a polishing tool; it is not designed to remove metal ( to any appreciable amount). Also, while I know that some of wear out SG and SB grinding wheels, I have never read of anyone wearing out an SJ.

Ken

Ken S

According to a support request I sent this morning: Using the Sj-250 after DWE-250 will still make a better edge than only the DWE wheel.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on March 15, 2018, 11:54:05 AM
According to a support request I sent this morning: Using the Sj-250 after DWE-250 will still make a better edge than only the DWE wheel.

Ken

I would say "more refined" edge... not a "better" edge.  ;)

The reason... depending on how the knife/tool is used, a 1200g finish off the DE-250 might perform better than a 4000g edge off the SJ wheel.

Stickan

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 15, 2018, 01:55:28 PM
Quote from: Ken S on March 15, 2018, 11:54:05 AM

Ken

I would say "more refined" edge... not a "better" edge.  ;)

The reason... depending on how the knife/tool is used, a 1200g finish off the DE-250 might perform better than a 4000g edge off the SJ wheel.

I know that some prefers to have some "burr" left on the edge. A honed edge stays sharp longer than an edge with some burr left on it.
Also something to take into consideration.

Stig

cbwx34

Quote from: Stickan on March 15, 2018, 02:14:22 PM
I know that some prefers to have some "burr" left on the edge. A honed edge stays sharp longer than an edge with some burr left on it.
Also something to take into consideration.

Stig

True... but are you saying that an edge can't be "de-burred" on the DE-250 (or other) stone?

My experience, (and I've posted it before), is that you'll get a better edge if it's as burr free as possible, prior to any type of honing.