News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a new generation of Tormek user

Started by Ken S, February 06, 2018, 11:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Wootz' recent comment about "professional" and "commercial" sharpening equipment in the knife section meshes well with some of my thoughts. The two categories are growing closer. A clever camera marketing person coined the term "prosumer" for digital cameras. My Nikon D610 falls into this category. I want the full format, large mega pixel image quality it provides, as well as the high ISO low noise, superb viewing, and many other features. I did not want to carry a brick designed to survive professional NFL torture. Nor did I want the brick's price tag. I wanted some professional features and some consumer features.

Some of the present generation of Tormek users, especially forum members, want a similar mix with their Tormeks. We want higher accuracy in our bevels than is really needed. We want more versatility, and we want higher speed, even if we only sharpen a few tools. And, as Tormek owners, we have demonstrated that we are willing to make the investment to achieve these things.

Over the years, the Tormek engineers have been diligently working on upgrades and expanding the scope of the Tormek. The stainless steel EZYlock shaft has eliminated the shaft rust pronlem and made using the new interchangeable grinding wheels efficient. Zinc machining and rededigning has made dignificant steps forward. The list goes on.

There is one area where I do not believe Tormek is up to speed. In my contact with Tormek over the years, I am continually amazed with the knowledge Tormek has acquired over the years. I think the handbook by Torgny Jansson is the gold standard for instruction manuals. The information in it is as useful as when it was first written. I hope it will remain intact as part of every new Tormek.

I also feel that there is much knowledge gained over decades of use which is not included in the handbook. Tormek has this expertise. They are not hoarding it. As an individual user, I have asked the support staff many questions. Through these contacts, I have become aware of some of the more subtle possibilities in areas like using a lighter touch on the final passes and getting middle coarseness grades with the stone grader. The support staff is very helpful. While this information is freely available to individual users, it is generally not included in the company videos.

I am not faulting Tormek or anyone working there. The videos it has produced are generally head and shoulders above what most of the industry offers. My issue is that, with some notable exceptions, the videos seem to be done by marketing expectations. The general marketing environment today is that the consumer has been dumbed down enough to only respond to short, almost soundbite length videos (ads). I am not a dumbed down soundbite person; I am a serious Tormek user. I want to improve my skills through deeper understanding. Tormek's turning video DVD provides that insight. It is in depth and excellently done. The Tormek video with Alan Holtham on using the DBS-22 drill bit jig is essential and very well done. The poor carvers have never gotten much of a video from Tormek, which is sad because the machine and jigs are a good fit for carvers.

There are a lot of Tormek knife sharpeners who have never seen an in depth Tormek video focused on knife sharpening. I believe there are many Tormek users, as well as potential Tormek users who would benefit from more in depth video instruction.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 06, 2018, 11:25:43 AM
a new generation of Tormek user

I think the title of your thread said it all. ;)

The main "theme" with most recent sharpeners, is increased accuracy and consistency.  Whether "needed" or not is another topic, but the "want" is definitely there.  For example, I recently read a post in another forum, where the user complained of a .2° error (on another sharpener), and had to fabricate a fix for it.  A "digital angle gauge" is now standard issue with some sharpeners.  Self-centering clamps are also becoming "standard issue"... mostly due to the grind types of many newer knives.

To be fair, Tormek has done some innovation in knife sharpening... their "Small Knife Holder" is one.  I started using and promoting its use on another guided sharpener as soon as I got one.  Works well... (even beyond its intended use).

The main thing that I've seen since joining this forum, is there are a number of ways to address some of the current points.  Hopefully....  8)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Daniel

Spot on, Ken, as always.

One of the main reasons I hesitated for such a long time before purchasing a Tormek was because I was not sure a machine could sharpen a blade up to my standards, nor that it would keep doing so reliably and consistently. Im pretty sure some of my doubts could have been dismissed with the help of some more good, deep, detailed videos. So I can easily see how these videos would not only be benefitial for the community as a whole, but could also draw new Tormek owners to the community.

On a side note: Middle coarseness grades? Please elaborate, I think I'm over-smoothing my stone when grading it and it ends up removing almost no metal at all. You see? Better videos would have made me aware of this possibility before seen it in a forum: you are right again!

Ken S

CB,

Sometimes I feel I live in two eras. I do appreciate the increased precision and repeatability that both Tormek and the forum have generated. Among other things, this new precision allows a new sharpener to produce work which only a very skilled sharpener could have done in the past, and do it consistently.

I have been discussing my other side in a pm with a member. In my longwinded posts, I have not quite gotten to my point about the sharpening rabbit hole. Sometimes I just want to produce a workable sharp edge. I think that's one reason why chisels seem so friendly to me. Just a Tormek with the st ndard SG wheel and a square edge jig. I like the feel and sound of grinding carbon steel with the SG.

I agree with you about the "Small Tool Holder". By incorporating it into my kenjig program, paring knives can have the same 139mm projection as slicing and chef's knives. This means that once the Distance is set, it can remain constant. By using three different knife jigs and the small tool holder, the knife jigs require little if any Projection adjustment. This can eliminate much tedium for a busy knife sharpener.

Daniel,

Middle coarseness grading is something I learned from Stig. Traditional Tormek uses only full coarse (220) and full fine (1000). Stig likes a middle grading, which he calls 600. You can achieve a middle grading by using the stone grader with lighter pressure and/or shorter time.

To reach a middle grade, I suggest you first start with full fine. Lay on the fine side of the stone grader for at least a minute. Pay attention to the feel and the sound.

Then really lay on the coarse side, again observing the sound and feel.

Now gradually sneak up to a finer grade with light pressure and just a short time.

I think this may have been left out of the handbook in the interest of a simple, easy to learn technique. I hope it will be incorporated into an in depth training video.

Keep learning.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on February 08, 2018, 11:31:27 PM
I have been discussing my other side in a pm with a member. In my longwinded posts, I have not quite gotten to my point about the sharpening rabbit hole. Sometimes I just want to produce a workable sharp edge. I think that's one reason why chisels seem so friendly to me. Just a Tormek with the st ndard SG wheel and a square edge jig. I like the feel and sound of grinding carbon steel with the SG.

Believe it or not, me too.  Although I spend a lot of time (here) talking about increasing precision, improving jigs, etc., the majority of my sharpening is... mark it with a Sharpie, match (or slightly reprofile) an edge, and enjoy the sharpening.  I actually enjoy sharpening on the Tormek (main reason I returned to using it).  (This might get lost in the postings on making improvements). ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

You are I are in agreement much too often; something must be wrong.  :)

Yes, using the Tormek should be enjoyable. It removes the worry of overheating a blade, the nuisance of grinding dust, and the pain in one's hands from using bench stones.

Ken