News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New member presentation

Started by Marc, February 04, 2018, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Hello,

My name is Marc and I'm new to this forum. Here are a few words to present myself.

I started my sharpening adventure in 2011 when I discovered bushcraft. One of the activities I liked the most in bushcraft was wood whittling with a knife to produce various cooking utensils. For this kind of work, you need very sharp tools, so I had to learn how to sharpen.

I started using diamond stones, then tried sand paper, ceramic, natural stones and finally Japanese water stones.

I must say that I started sharpening as a necessity, but it became quickly a pleasure in itself. The pleasure and satisfaction of being able to bring your tools to the best performance so they can serve you well. After a few month of practice, I started sharpening for my family members and friends.

Now I'm in the process of starting a small sharpening business. So about two months ago I bought a Tormek T8 which will be my main tool.

I've been training quite intensively with the machine and I'm very satisfied with the results.

So this very rich and interesting forum is already very useful to me. Thanks to all the contributors who share their knowledge of the Tormek system.   Of course I'll be happy to contribute myself If I have interesting information to share.

Regards

Marc

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Marc. Best of luck with your new sharpening business. Make sure your sharpening always retains its amateur fascination in addition to being a business.

I would highly recommend the best sharpening business resource I know: Steve Bottorff, one of our members, recently retired from many years of farmers market sharpening and teaching (over three hundred students over the years, with individual training). Steve made a DVD called Sharpening School, to provide future sharpeners with the benefit of his class. It is excellent. It is available through Steve's website (sharpeningmadeeasy.com). I consider it a must have item.

Keep posting; you are among friends.

Ken

Daniel

Welcome, Marc

The more, the merrier!

Marc

Thanks guys for your warm welcoming and thanks Ken for your advices. At the right time I'll probably check Steeve's videos.

Marc

Ken S

Marc,

So many new members are in a hurry to purchase one or both of the extra grinding wheels to get ahead. I believe the best path to mastering the Tormek is by increasing knowledge, rather than by adding accessories. I think the fastest route is by studying with a good teacher who has also mastered the Tormek and has long experience. We have at least two members of this forum who fit that category: Robin Bailey in the UK, and Wootz in Australia. In the US, Steve Bottorff, now retired, is excellent. If you live on this side of the pond, you might chevk Steve's website, sharpeningmadeeasy.com, for recommended teachers.

For sharpening woodturning tools, the Tormek turner's box is outstanding. I consider it Tormek's best DVD. THe videos Alan Holtham did for Tormek with the DBS-22 drill bit jig are a close second. My preference is the longer of the two. Steve's Sharpening School DVD is excellent and very thorough, although it is not entirely Tormek. The rest of the tools have only sparce video voverage.

My favorite sharpening book is Sharpening by Leonard Lee. This has been a staple in my personal reference library for more than twenty years. It is not Tormek oriented. I feel it should be part of every sharpener's library.

The other vital component of knowledge is from actual experience. I am primarily a chisel and plane sharpener. I refer you to the permanent first topic, tips and techniques. You need some sharpening practice tools. These are tools you can sharpen and resharpen many times as learning tools, without worrying about ruining your wife's favorite kitchen knives or scissors or wearing out a friend's expensive Lie-Nielsen chisels. Practice, patience, and repetition do make perfect. Save your accessory money until you master the basics,

Ken