News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

2x universal supports? Makes any sense?

Started by Daniel, January 18, 2018, 11:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Daniel,

I am pleased to dhare it with you. Please give full credit to Dutchman who did the trig work which makes it work. (I suggest you print out his booklet from Rich's handbook.) You will also find improvements submitted by other forum members. I appreciate the improvements, which really are improvements, however, I am quite comfortable with the original simple piece of plywood. It serves the purpose.

Keep posting. It is nice to have another plane person. Incidentally, what originally inspired me to get my Tormek was the pain in my hands from preparing several new chisels for a hand cut dovetailing class.

One last thought, yesterday afternoon I went to the Woodworking Show in Columbus, Ohio. Lee Vally has a nice setup there. Wow!, do they make some fine planes!

Ken

Daniel

Ken,

Lucky you, I wish there were such shows around here. I'm sure you enjoyed it a lot, I know I would!

Absolutely, Veritas makes some of the best planes money can buy, and I'm a huge fan of their take on the subject: they never seem afraid of breaking with tradition and innovating where it's needed. I can understand why some people dislike their aesthetics but I consider that a tool is a tool after all, and its function is always much more important than its looks (to me).

Ken S

I have often recommended Leonard Lee's Sharpening book. It should be part of every sharpener's library. I also recommend his sharpening DVD. His advice is solid and honest. I find his dry humor warm and refreshing.

I heard an interview with his son, Rob, who now runs the company. He was asked to compare Veritas tools with Lie-Nielsen tools. He replied that Tom (Lie-Nielsen) makes tools which are like classical music; ours are jazz. That strikes me as very diplomatic, positive and, also, very accurate.

Ken

Daniel

Please correct me if I'm wrong, This info is copypasted from official tormek web on T-8 specs:

Leather Honing Wheel: ∅ 220×31 mm (8 5/8"×1¼")

But I have measured mine and its actually closer to a diameter of 21cm than 22cm as stated. Since the anglemaster has a notch for the LA-220 at 220mm, wouldn't this mean I am already microbeveling the edge of my blades when using tormek recommended settings? I suppose it would make sense because, if anything, you wanna make sure that you hit the edge of the bevel rather than the heel when polishing, but too much if it could create issues. Add to this the suppleness of the leather and I can see how I could be actually sharpening at a higher degree than intended.

For my peace of mind, please tell me I got it all completely wrong. No mercy, I love to be shown how ignorant I am... means there is something new to learn ;)

cbwx34

Quote from: Daniel on January 23, 2018, 07:31:11 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong, This info is copypasted from official tormek web on T-8 specs:

Leather Honing Wheel: ∅ 220×31 mm (8 5/8"×1¼")

But I have measured mine and its actually closer to a diameter of 21cm than 22cm as stated. Since the anglemaster has a notch for the LA-220 at 220mm, wouldn't this mean I am already microbeveling the edge of my blades when using tormek recommended settings? I suppose it would make sense because, if anything, you wanna make sure that you hit the edge of the bevel rather than the heel when polishing, but too much if it could create issues. Add to this the suppleness of the leather and I can see how I could be actually sharpening at a higher degree than intended.

For my peace of mind, please tell me I got it all completely wrong. No mercy, I love to be shown how ignorant I am... means there is something new to learn ;)

You are not wrong...

https://forum.tormek.com/index.php?topic=3361.0
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Daniel

cbwx34

You're welcome..  Not a "D'oh".... good catch! :)

Herman Trivilino

Daniel, given your experience hand-sharpening, I believe you will not need jigs when honing on the leather wheel. It's quite easy to do free hand.
Origin: Big Bang

Daniel

Thanks, Herman. It's true, I could do it by hand, but I prefer to stay away from free hand sharpening for a while. I have had a few issues in the past, like rounding the edge while stropping too enthusiastically in a hurry, or progressively increasing the angle and convexity of the bevel when resharpening or doing quick touch-ups. But yes, in the future I will become more confident with the machine and will likely skip that step.

Funnily enough, I only have issues with my modern alloy blades. Classical Stanley/Record blades are a joke to sharpen by hand (to me, at least) and done so quickly it's not worth the time to put them into the tormek jig (with the exception of heavy cambered blades, those are always a joy to sharpen on the T-8)

cbwx34

Quote from: Daniel on January 24, 2018, 06:55:19 AM
Thanks, Herman. It's true, I could do it by hand, but I prefer to stay away from free hand sharpening for a while. I have had a few issues in the past, like rounding the edge while stropping too enthusiastically in a hurry, or progressively increasing the angle and convexity of the bevel when resharpening or doing quick touch-ups. But yes, in the future I will become more confident with the machine and will likely skip that step.

One thing I do with knives, when I hone on the leather wheel, is to always start at a slightly lower angle (and with little pressure), then rotate the knife and "sneak" up on the edge.  I can hear and feel when it reaches this point... then I make the honing pass.  Sometimes I might back off very slightly on the angle, to prevent what you're noticing.  Might give that a try.

Ken S

Daniel,

You are making the case for "sharpening practice tools". That is how I use the Irwin 3/4" Blue Chip chisels in the Tips and Techniques topic. No one wants to "ruin" a favorite, expensive, precious tool be several learning sharpen, redull, resharpen cycles, even it that is what is needed. I wouldn't do that to my grandfather's Stanley 750 chisels or my 1909 Stanley Bedrock blades. We need practice tools which are consumable. We also need the patience to learn the skills like the leather honing wheel. Sometime when you are not in a hurry, give Herman's suggestion a try with your Irwin chisels. No rush. No customer or spouse to please.

Must dash.

Ken

RichColvin

Quote from: Ken S on January 22, 2018, 12:39:52 PM
I have often recommended Leonard Lee's Sharpening book. It should be part of every sharpener's library.

I have two copies :  a physical one, and an e-book !
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich, You are more up to date than I am. I have the hardback book and a VHS!
Ken