News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Single bevel chef's knife

Started by Dakotapix, January 09, 2018, 11:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakotapix

I received for Christmas a single bevel chef's knife, seven inches, Japanese style. Brand is Kamikoto, made in China but from Japanese steel. It has a long bevel about half way up the blade which you should see in the attached photo, then a secondary bevel that appears to be maybe 1/64" wide. Recommended sharpening by the manufacturer is on water stones which I could do. I'm just wondering how my Tormek would do on this.

I'm also wondering if the long bevel mentioned above should be routinely worked on or should I just focus on the secondary bevel? Your thoughts are appreciated. Frankly I do most of my knife sharpening on stones but thought it might be time to try the Tormek.

cbwx34

Quote from: Dakotapix on January 09, 2018, 11:08:19 PM
I received for Christmas a single bevel chef's knife, seven inches, Japanese style. Brand is Kamikoto, made in China but from Japanese steel. It has a long bevel about half way up the blade which you should see in the attached photo, then a secondary bevel that appears to be maybe 1/64" wide. Recommended sharpening by the manufacturer is on water stones which I could do. I'm just wondering how my Tormek would do on this.

I'm also wondering if the long bevel mentioned above should be routinely worked on or should I just focus on the secondary bevel? Your thoughts are appreciated. Frankly I do most of my knife sharpening on stones but thought it might be time to try the Tormek.

There's at least one thread that talks about this.... Japanese Knives... (kinda bounces around topics though, but tries to stay on track). ???

The small 1/64" bevel could be maintained on the Tormek for a while (stone graded fine or even better the SJ wheel, or maintain on the leather wheel).  The "long bevel" you reference would occasionally need to be addressed, I would do that on a flat waterstone.

The back side could be deburred on the leather wheel... but if it's like most single bevel Japanese knives, make sure you don't put any angle .  Might be easier just to use a flat waterstone on the back side too.

Short answer... probably not a knife I would decide to "try the Tormek" on.  :-\
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Dakotapix

Thanks for the reply. I will probably stay with the water stones. There are gobs of videos on YouTube that show the process.

cbwx34

Quote from: Dakotapix on January 10, 2018, 01:26:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will probably stay with the water stones. There are gobs of videos on YouTube that show the process.

No problem.  I'm sure you could make it sharp on the Tormek... but under the circumstances, may not be the best route to take in this case.  ;)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)