News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to maintain the leather honing wheel?

Started by DonWerner, January 03, 2018, 08:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonWerner

Hey guys,

Another question from a newbie here. How do you maintain your leather honing wheel? My Tormek is set up in a very dry and warm workshop (same room as the furnace) and I was wondering if I should condition the honing wheel with the oil every now and then? I did it when I first broke in the machine a few months ago, but haven't done it since. I have only used the honing paste since then, every time I hone. The leather on the wheel seems very dry to the touch, is that normal?

cbwx34

Quote from: DonWerner on January 03, 2018, 08:41:29 AM
Hey guys,

Another question from a newbie here. How do you maintain your leather honing wheel? My Tormek is set up in a very dry and warm workshop (same room as the furnace) and I was wondering if I should condition the honing wheel with the oil every now and then? I did it when I first broke in the machine a few months ago, but haven't done it since. I have only used the honing paste since then, every time I hone. The leather on the wheel seems very dry to the touch, is that normal?

I personally think that when the leather wheel becomes smooth and firm, it produces better results.  On my older Tormek, I've never used anything other than the Tormek Honing Compound... (and I live in a dry climate).  So my vote is no additional oil needed.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Fernando

that's a doubt that I also have, how often mineral oil should be used on the leather wheel, it just says that the compound should be used roughly every 5 sharpened, initially tormek gives us a limited amount, but it does not if it is the only thing that is needed as initial treatment of the wheel and does not require more in the future, or is only the initial treatment but we must apply it regularly according to the state of the leather, I was investigating a lot about the mineral oil, because in my country they sell nothing of tormek and my purchases I make them online, and I come to the conclusion that I can use pure white mineral oil, usp grade, I bought it to have a reservation, although I do not use it yet ...

Ken S

I have prepared several leather honing wheels over the years. I no longer accurately what oily substance I used. I bought a jar of mineral oil from the drug store, enough for several hundred honing wheels. I used this for at least one wheel. I recall using 3 in 1 light oil for one and another brand of light oil for another. My point is that the leather honing wheel works with a variety of oils.

I have not added oil, just honing compound. The Tormek is a hearty and adaptable species.

(good question)

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on March 29, 2018, 01:24:14 AM
I have prepared several leather honing wheels over the years. I no longer accurately what oily substance I used. I bought a jar of mineral oil from the drug store, enough for several hundred honing wheels. I used this for at least one wheel. I recall using 3 in 1 light oil for one and another brand of light oil for another. My point is that the leather honing wheel works with a variety of oils.

I have not added oil, just honing compound. The Tormek is a hearty and adaptable species.

(good question)

Ken

Ken precisely the mineral oil sold in pharmacies is "usp" grade that has several uses including as a laxative, or as johnson oil for babies both are usp grade, allowed in the food, pharmaceutical and cosmetic industry, because they are not toxic for the human being.

I think that if we are going to use a substance to sharpen knives that are going to have contact with food, it is good to know that it has no contraindications.  :)

Ken S

Fernando,

You are probably correct. If we err, it is better to err on the safe side. With the leather honing wheel, I am more concerned about the honing compound. I have never seen statements about how safe it is for direct contact with food. Perhaps some of the members who work with restaurants will comment.

I always wash my sharpened knives with hot soapy water before drying and returning them to the knife block.

Ken

Fernando

Quote from: Ken S on April 04, 2018, 03:18:28 AM
Fernando,

You are probably correct. If we err, it is better to err on the safe side. With the leather honing wheel, I am more concerned about the honing compound. I have never seen statements about how safe it is for direct contact with food. Perhaps some of the members who work with restaurants will comment.

I always wash my sharpened knives with hot soapy water before drying and returning them to the knife block.

Ken

Ken, you have treated 2 interesting topics for me, regarding the burnishing compound and the process of cleaning the knives after sharpening.

Of the sharpening compound I only saw that it is made with aluminum oxide that is not toxic, but I do not know if it is mixed with mineral oil or what is the liquid with which it is mixed, so I will wait for someone with more knowledge illustrious

As for the cleaning after sharpening at least in my case, first use alcohol 96° especially to remove the mark made with the Sharpie on the edge, and then if I go to wash it with soap and water ... but I am curious that you say that you wash it with hot water before you store it, I do not know if it's for hygiene, but ... and it's just a doubt ... would not it have a long-term negative effect using hot water on a knife that has been tempered?

SharpenADullWitt

Mineral oil is also used on cutting boards, so it is something good to have around for both uses.  (I know it is also the oil/lube recommended for the Hobart slicer my friends restaurant uses)
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

SharpenADullWitt

Fernando, the hot water heaters put out hot water normally in the range of 120 to 140 degree's F.  It is mixed at the faucet to bring it down to a temperature that one is comfortable with, that is much lower then what would affect the tempering of a knife.
I am wondering if your confusing 120 (where is that degree symbol again) F, with 120 C?
Favorite line, from a post here:
Quote from: Rob on February 24, 2013, 06:11:44 PM
8)

Yeah you know Tormek have reached sharpening nirvana when you get a prosthetic hand as part of the standard package :/)

RickKrung

Quote from: SharpenADullWitt on April 04, 2018, 04:06:12 PM
...snip...
I am wondering if your confusing 120 (where is that degree symbol again) F, with 120 C?

º

Keystrokes:  Alt+0186  That is, hold the "Alt" key down while typing in the numerals "0186".

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Degree symbol on ipad: Hold down zero key. Slide finger forward to ° and release.

I am certainly no expert on knife sanitizing. I just use ordinary kitener hot tap water and a little Dawn. I doubt the water gets hot enough to change the temper of the knives.

I never thought about using alcohol because I rarely use a black marker. I use a kenjig instead of a marker or Anglemaster. The few times when I use a black marker, the mark is ground away.

This is an interesting topic. Thanks, Don, for starting it. We can always intensify our understanding.

Ken

Ken S

Dutchman,

Thank you for your post. While most of my computer time is spent with my ipad, the ipad is no match for serious typing with my imac or macbook. A user who knows the subtleties of the keyboard is certainly leagues ahead of the majority who do not.

I remember typing term papers in Spanish back in college (ca. 1970) with a typewriter. Accents, ñ, ¿, etc had to be penciled in. ¡Prehistoric life had its challenges! I can see why my great grandfather switch from ö to oe in the family name........

For those members new enough not to remember, I will remind them that when they read about kenjigs and other forum inspired knife angle setting jigs, your grinding booklet is "die ur" (the original ancestor) which made them all possible. I still refer to your work whenever I need a different bevel angle.

°°°°

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on April 04, 2018, 10:44:45 PM
Degree symbol on ipad: Hold down zero key. Slide finger forward to ° and release.

Holy guacamole.... how did I not know this? ??? :o

I actually created a shortcut for the ° symbol.

Thanks!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB,

Try holding your finger down on some of the keys, especially the vowels. There are lots of unknown goodies. ãåāàáâäæ    :)

Ken