News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SJ can't polish S110V

Started by Sharpco, December 27, 2017, 05:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharpco

I sharpened Spyderco Military CPM-S110V.

As you know, S110V has very high wear-resistance. But SG & SB stone ground it well.

Problem is SJ. SJ can't polish S110V.(But it can polish S30V)

I tried it for a long time and to push it harder.(not very hard)

But the result is this photo.

Ken S

Sharpco,

I suggest you contact support (support@tormek.se) with this question. Knives are really Stig's specialty In addition to his own extensive knowledge of knives, he knows many experienced knife people.

Ken

ps I would be curious to read his answer. Please post it.

kwakster

To truly polish S110V steel you will need fine CBN or diamond, as no other abrasive is able to cut & shape the relatively large amount of vanadium carbides in the steel.

I use various diamond compounds on dedicated Paper Wheels for polishing work, and a while ago i did this Spyderco PM2 in S110V steel, freehand on Paper Wheels with successively 15, 6, 3, and 1 micron diamond compounds.
You can click 2 x on the pics for a bit more detail.

Close-ups using a USB microscope:

Sharpco

Quote from: kwakster on December 27, 2017, 10:36:49 AM
To truly polish S110V steel you will need fine CBN or diamond, as no other abrasive is able to cut & shape the relatively large amount of vanadium carbides in the steel.

I use various diamond compounds on dedicated Paper Wheels for polishing work, and a while ago i did this Spyderco PM2 in S110V steel, freehand on Paper Wheels with successively 15, 6, 3, and 1 micron diamond compounds.
You can click 2 x on the pics for a bit more detail.

Close-ups using a USB microscope:

Good job kwakster.

I think this is the limit of SJ stone too.

wootz

Just wanted to take an occasion and thank Mr. KWAKSTER.
KWAKSTER is a unique freehand sharpening talent, and proficient in Tormek and paper wheels.
I've learned how to use paper wheels properly by his posts on an Australian forum.

thansen

Quote from: wootz on December 28, 2017, 08:26:57 AM
Just wanted to take an occasion and thank Mr. KWAKSTER.
KWAKSTER is a unique freehand sharpening talent, and proficient in Tormek and paper wheels.
I've learned how to use paper wheels properly by his posts on an Australian forum.

I would very much like to read those posts, do you have a link to this forum?

Thank you :-)

wootz

https://www.australianbladeforums.com/vb4/sharpening/24087-paper-wheel-edges.htm

I remember spending several days just reading through KWAKSTER threads.

hm, the link does not work well -
at the www.australianbladeforums.com
go to General Blade Discussion >> Sharpening >> Show your Paper Wheel edges

kwakster

The pictures of the Spyderco PM2 in S110V steel in my earlier post seem to have vanished, and i can't replace them as i don't have them on my computer anymore.
However i do have pics from a second PM2 in the same steel, only without the USB shots.

BTW: these edges are done freehand on Paper Wheels with diamond compounds exclusively, so no Tormek involved.
The chest hair was made into a fuzzstick by holding it on the root end only.
You can click 2 x on each pic for a bit more detail.

kwakster

Thx to a great tip from member CWBX34 the pics of the first PM2 in S110V are now visible again, and i've learned something new,  :D

cbwx34

Quote from: kwakster on May 15, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
Thx to a great tip from member CWBX34 the pics of the first PM2 in S110V are now visible again, and i've learned something new,  :D

Glad it worked! :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)