News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Truing SG stone (T8) vibrations and wrinkled surface

Started by gijssom, December 17, 2017, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gijssom

Hello everybody,

I'm having difficulty truing the SG-250 stone of my T8.

What I am observing is that there is a lot of resonance/vibration when truing the first (about half) part of the stone (from outside to inside).
The result is a wrinkled pattern on the first (outer) half of the stone, the second half has a smooth finish.
I'm lowering the TT-50 no more than one mark or digit and I'm completing the process in no less than 90 seconds.

What am I doing wrong?

I have attached a picture to illustrate what is happening.

Kind regards,

Gijs

RickKrung

Quote from: gijssom on December 17, 2017, 10:29:56 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm having difficulty truing the SG-250 stone of my T8.

What I am observing is that there is a lot of resonance/vibration when truing the first (about half) part of the stone (from outside to inside).
The result is a wrinkled pattern on the first (outer) half of the stone, the second half has a smooth finish.
I'm lowering the TT-50 no more than one mark or digit and I'm completing the process in no less than 90 seconds.

What am I doing wrong?

I have attached a picture to illustrate what is happening.

Kind regards,

Gijs

Gijs,

I recently bought an SB-250 and excitedly put it on and set about truing it and got exactly the same thing, diagonal waves. 

I was going to post about it but figured out the problem.  I had not tightened the locking screw that clamps the jig securely to the USB.  As soon as I clamped it tight, the waves went away. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Jigs,

Welcome to the forum.

Rick,

You are more fortunate than I was. When I neglected to tighten the locking screw on my TT-50 truing tool, I thought I had ruined the diamond tip! I finally realized that it was ok, but not before ordering a replacement tool.

Jigs,

Make sure the tool is locked on. Your initial pass should barely touch the high spot on the grinding wheel. It's ok if it does not touch at all. Advance in half number increments, baby steps. You will sense the diamond just starting to cut. Doubtless this seems overly careful, however, it will teach you how the truing tool works. With practice you may become more aggressive if you wish. I still enjoy the leisurely approach, although I can work very aggressively if I have to.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Stickan

Hi all,
This also happens when the setting is to little, the the diamond don't get pressure between the stone and the housing of the TT-50 and the diamond-tip starts to vibrate.
If this happens, use the stonegraders coarse side ant flatten the stone as much as possible before using the TT-50 again. This prevents the diamond-tip to follow the tracks made earlier.

Best,
Stig