News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

New light on the Tormek

Started by Ken S, July 28, 2018, 05:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I had two LED lamps for my Tormek. Both had good light output and both have problems. The battery powered lamp has a very good magnetic base and works well until the batteries inevitably wear down. It has a major design flaw. The AA battery chamber is undersized. The thickness of AA batteries varies. The better alkaline and rechargable brands are sized near the thick end of the specifications. Only the thinner, inexpensive off brand batteries will fit in this lamp. Except for this flaw, it is an excellent lamp.

My AC powered LED lamp does not hold well with a vertical surface. I presently have it held with two electrical ties. The flexible arm is also somewhat wimpy.

While researching CBN wheels, I noticed that woodturningwonders also sells heavy duty magnetic base LED lamps. Ken Rizza promptly and thoroughly answered my questions. I have found his customer service excellent. I was unsure which model I wanted. I chose the Beacon. I think I will eventually purchase a couple more. The Beacon is the smallest of the three. My thought was to try it out with the Tormek and several other shop tools and probably use it with my grandson's 3D printer. I found it works very well in all of my locations.

It uses a switchable dial indicator magnetic base, a real convenience. The thirty inch flexible arm really does stay in place. I would (and will) purchase it again. The base is shaped to work with both flat and round surfaces. It works very well on my drill press column. It hangs nicely from my iron support I beam. The one place it slips is on the vertical painted supports of my heavy metal shelves (next to my Tormek work station). Woodturningwonders provides a fix for that. I ordered a well made thick steel plate. The plate is drilled for and includes two flat head wood screws. I will have to relocate one of the holes to match the holes in my shelf support. Then I will have a very secure magnet on the vertical surface.

Ken mentioned that he can custom build the Beacon with a heavier pull magnet from the Aurora or Super Nova model if needed, a nice touch.

Several years ago, I discovered that (as the handbook states) the Tormek really is easier to use with good light. The woodturningwonders lamps provide that light very well.

Ken

AKMike

I have the Super Nova, which I use for wood turning, but it is too bright for using with the Tormek. I think you made the right decision with the smaller lamp.

Mike

Ken S

Mike,

The concept of a "Super Nova" lamp reminds me of the surplus WWII searchlights at store openings years ago.

From my photographic training I remember that light becomes only half as bright when the distance from the light source is increased by the square root of two. (It may be easier to remember that doubling or halving the distance decreases the intensity of the light to one quarter or increases it by four times.) On a practical level changing the distance from the light can adjust the level.

The Aurora (middle brightness) has the lamp mounted perpendicular to the arm and slightly wider coverage. Assuming that my grandson will abscond with this lamp for his 3D printer, my next lamp may be an Aurora. I will post a comparison at that time.

Ken