News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

T-4 Bushcraft For Christmas

Started by TT123, December 17, 2017, 11:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TT123

My wife and I are carvers. We do all kinds. Getting the burr and keeping all the profiles and bent tools sharp can be daunting. I have learned the fine stone grading is the ticket, I do have a BGM- 100 and SVS-48. Carving knifes or potato peelers as a favorite master carver friend are no problem. I get that. I am wondering about the back bent , long and short bent gouges and long and short bent v tools I plan to sharpen.
I keep hearing about the water spillage issue but have a simple solution and will present it with photos once Christmas Day arrives and I can have a go with my new tool.
So... any carvers out there with any advice? I read about the bowling ball bag I and just so happen to have one. The cooler sounds great as well, Must keep my eyes open at Goodwill. Never thought I could get a Tormek but Cyber Monday I got quite a deal at my favorite on line Tool Store, Acme.

Ken S

TT,

Welcome to the forum. I think you will really like your new T4. The Bushcraft edition is the best deal I have ever seen for a T4. When I first acquired my T4, time was short. I set it up next to my T7 and stole a few minutes at a time to examine it. One thing really struck me, how similar the T4 and T7 are. They share the same handbook. Most of the parts are identical.

One of the early T4 notions was that it would be a good introductory Tormek, and that the users would probably "upgrade" to a T7. That hasn't happened. With very few exceptions, the T4 will do everything needed. It certainly does everything I need. If you ever take up woodturning and want to reshape gouges, a Norton 3X 46 grit wheel or CBN wheel will turbo charge your T4!

I can tell you from personal experience that the bowling ball bag works very well. Make sure you keep the box the SG-200 comes in. You will want a sealed baggie or other waterproofing for the grinding wheel. It holds moisture for a long time.

Tormek information for carvers is lean. Do you know Tim Crawford? He is an Ohio based carver who demonstrates for Flex Cut. Tim is a veteran Tormek user who has agreed to reply to carving questions. If you post questions, I will send them to Tim. Answers may not be fast, but should be solid.

Keep us posted, and enjoy your new T4!

Ken

TT123

Thank for the reply Ken,
The Norton 3X 46 grit wheel or CBN wheel?  What are we talking about here?  8 inch stones for the T4 or high speed grinder stones?
TT

Ken S

TT,

I use the 3X wheel with the T4. I am spoiled by the watercooled, dust free environment of the Tormek. It will remove a lot of hardened steel quickly and cooly with no dust. For just over fifty dollars US, it's a lot of firepower in a small package. I have not used the 3X since I bought a 180 grit CBN wheel for the T4. It cuts almost as quickly, but costs considerably more. For the money, you can't beat the T4 and 3X combination.

As carvers, I doubt you and your wife would ever need this coarse of a wheel. If you should ever require one, it's a nice reserve option for later purchase only if necessary.

Ken